What do i use to strip paint off

modie61, Oct 3, 1:42am
alloy wheels that have been sprayed white over silver,i think the silver is powder coated,gunhand maybe !

kiwicon, Oct 3, 1:47am
brake fluid :p

icemans1, Oct 3, 3:29am
lol doesn't always work

hamishcookie, Oct 3, 3:34am
Gasket stripper in a can the crc stuff works great

gunhand, Oct 3, 5:55am
What is it youare trying to achieve! there may be another solution.

mellisa2000, Oct 3, 6:41am
Soda blast.

modie61, Oct 3, 6:57am
Want to repaint them white,dont need to be flash though.

gunhand, Oct 3, 7:01am
Do you need to strip them at all then! Is the paint on them in good nick and stuck well! if so a good sand should do just fine.

modie61, Oct 3, 7:57am
We sanded them and applied some etch primer but it reacted to the old paint

gunhand, Oct 3, 8:01am
dam, prob wasnt any real need to that either. Can you just resand. but having them blasted is by far the easiest way about it. A good paint stripper may do it though.

modie61, Oct 3, 8:03am
Yea my son got started on them,he thought he was doing the right thing. We have a sand blaster so will give it a go when the weather clears,the young fella sand blasted 1 wheel back to bare,so do we etch prime it or not !

gunhand, Oct 3, 8:05am
If its bare steal or alloy yes you should. if you paint over paint no you dont have to.
alloy in particular needs a good etch or primer etch.

modie61, Oct 3, 8:06am
Ok thanks gun. Will let you know how it turns out.

gunhand, Oct 3, 8:07am
modie61 wrote:
Ok thanks gun. Will let you know how it turns out.[/quote
cool, if its just a straight etch dont go over board with it either.

modie61, Oct 3, 8:10am
Its 3m says etch primer. So a light coat then aye !

gunhand, Oct 3, 8:22am
Yep dosnt need to be thick to work. You really should prime over the etch as well. Are you useing 2k system or dulon type.

modie61, Oct 3, 8:41am
Dulon

grangies, Oct 3, 8:59am
For Dulon / Acrylic Lacquer type top coats. The less undercoat the better.

wellabolla, Oct 3, 9:02am
check out my profile modie61.im the only one in our book.bring them around and ill look after ya
Gav

modie61, Oct 3, 6:40pm
Thanks Gav but the young fella would like to have a go himself. I dont want to hold him back,as i beleive this is often the right way to learn stuff,by doing it yourself,as im sure you started out,but thanks very much for your offer.

wellabolla, Oct 3, 7:18pm
Hey.no problems and yip I had to figure things out
On my own.good on ya.if ya get stuck or need any advise just pop around or give me a bell.I have some really good etch here I can
give ya.just bring a clean tin.have fun lol.
Gav

modie61, Dec 24, 10:10am
Well finally got the wheels stripped and painted,look great,thanks Gunhand and Wellabolla.