Help repairing a car lock

Page 1 / 2
pranne, Oct 5, 4:00am
Hi guys any idea what it would cost to fix/repair a driverside car lock! It locks okay but doent want to open up. getting a little tired of jumping in from the passengers side. Thanks for any guidance recieved

jasongroves, Oct 5, 4:02am
What sort of vehicle!

pranne, Oct 5, 4:11am
toyota rav 4

curlcrown, Oct 5, 4:45am
what year!

andrea_w, Oct 5, 4:47am
Try spray a liberal amount of CRC (or similar) into the lock.
This works a treat with old, tired locks.
But the fault may be electronic or there may be broken parts (can't tell from the description given), in which case my advice won't help.

pranne, Oct 5, 4:50am
sorry should have mentioned it is a 95 Rav 4. Thanks for the CRC tip will try it hope it works.
thnks

jasongroves, Oct 5, 4:50am
Are you able to remove the inside door panel yourself!

pranne, Oct 5, 4:54am
I can try

jasongroves, Oct 5, 5:02am

jasongroves, Oct 5, 5:03am

pranne, Oct 5, 5:06am
thanks for the links Jason will try them out.Will let you all know how it goes

pranne, Oct 5, 5:25am
thanks Kazbanz . Would this be very difficult !Would it be okay for a avg handyman like me to do!. Thanks for the help

kazbanz, Oct 5, 5:37am
pranne--Its not really difficult as such.I can't think of anything you could do that would cause irrepairable damage even if you get it wrong.
trade me rules mean I can't actually offer to help you with this job say on saturday.but maybee someone else could suggest a place that would show you how to do it.--maytbee a caryard in west auckland on a saturday --dunno who or where though

pranne, Oct 5, 5:45am
thanks kazbanz really nice and thoughtful of you appreciate it heaps having a lot of small things breaking down on me with this rav4 bought it at turners took a punt hope it last me for sometime or money down the drain. If you know someone i could show it to would be helpful.

thanks one again sincerely

jasongroves, Oct 5, 5:59am
Try the guy down at Millars Car Centre.
From what I hear he's pretty generous with his time.
Google them:)

icemans1, Oct 5, 6:00am
first thing i would do is spray heaps of CRC in the keyhole and work the key left and right

icemans1, Oct 5, 6:04am
+1
i've heard he's very friendly and helpful

pranne, Oct 5, 7:01am
thanks guy for all the tips will keep yuo all updated

skin1235, Oct 5, 7:12am
and think about which lock gets the most use - and which gets the least, you may consider the slide door ( do ravs have them - rvr's do) or the rear door perhaps
again I'd suggest a guy at Millars Car Center, from what I hear he's a bit of an easy suckin for those types of small jobs, especially on a Sat morning, he's been known to NOT even charge a fee for it! - but thats just what I've heard, so take a pack of mellowpuffs and he'll make you a coffee to finish off with haha

andrea_w, Oct 5, 7:30am
+2
Heard nothing but good things about him. careful though, chances are he'll try and sell you a Multipla while you're there.

skin1235, Oct 5, 7:34am
has he teamed up with jazz then!, similar names I know but surely not !

kazbanz, Oct 5, 8:34am
Rav's are either 3 or 5 door in that era,The LEAST used door lock is on the back but its a bit of a pita to take out -the left lock is easier-card off,peel the plastic back,pop the locking tab off the wire,wire off,pull tab off lock and it falls out. -about 10 minutes work if you dont tear the plastic sheet.
and UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCESwould any fee of any kind be charged by anyone on the message board "surely"

skin1235, Oct 5, 8:41am
so if I turned up with a trans.
nah we won't go there lol

now tell me he has an aversion to mellowpuffs, not obligatory and definitely not a fee simple

kazbanz, Oct 5, 7:34pm
sorry dude there shoulda been a smiley face by my last post. I wasn't being serious.
As for me and Jazz teaming up. Heck I have NO problem with Jazz as person. I think his tastes in vehiclesand some of his opinions are pretty whacky at times but I don't dislike him as a person.
To me he's the bloke who walks into the pub wearing a FORD shirt when all his mates are wearing HOLDEN shirts. They are all still mates even if one has truely perverted tastes in cars.

jasongroves, Oct 6, 12:02am
If it was me, I would be removing the lock and getting it repaired, rather than swapping them over.
Seems like twice as much work to still wind up with one lock that doesn't operate properly off the key.