Recommendations for car floor coating please

jasongroves, Oct 7, 9:46am
Quite a while ago I removed the carpets in my car due to water damage from water leaking in around window and door seals.
I did a temporary fix of the rust, but next week I will be removing rust completely and welding the small holes up as tidy as possible.
I won't be stripping the whole floor back to bare metal, only the areas to be repaired.
Can anyone recommend a product I can use to coat the entire floor with after the repairs!
I'm hoping for something that will help prevent rust in the future, be long lasting and relatively easy to apply ( I don't mind spraying or brush, it will be re-carpeted).
Any other info required please let me know.
Cheers guys.

johnf_456, Oct 7, 9:49am
por 15
Its a great product, search the boards for info on it and googe it. All the best

jasongroves, Oct 7, 9:51am
Yeah have read a fair bit about it.
Also wanting opinions of products others have used and personal experience with Por 15.
It does look like a very good product.

jasongroves, Oct 7, 9:52am
Also, are there any chain type stores that stock Por 15!

robbo36, Oct 7, 9:55am
Jason, I would recommend just using a good automotive undersealer once the floor pan is cleaned bare. Use this underseal product from http://www.specialfinishes.co.nz/product-fact-sheets/automotive/autobody-underseal.aspx
It is used for rust prooofing, can be painted over and will help with sound deadening. Comes in either spray or brush on.

jasongroves, Oct 7, 9:59am
Is it suitable for using inside the car! I am starting with doing the inside floor first.

robbo36, Oct 7, 10:04am
Yep, have a look at the link under "typical uses". My brother uses this product at his panel shop.

johnf_456, Oct 7, 10:04am
What do you want to know about it, I could sit here all night. But yes I have used it first hand myself on my project car that I am slowly doing up bit by bit.It seals very well, killing rust by drawing out the moisture, drying can take a long time. But personally I swear by it and others I know in automotive also use it.

jasongroves, Oct 7, 10:10am
Thanks, will do some further reading on both products.

johnf_456, Oct 7, 10:11am
Good luck hope it goes well mate, keep us informed. Rust repairs are never fun in motoring.

brodie64, Oct 7, 12:37pm
Wurth do a really good spray on under seal or chip seal. It is anti rust and looks a million times better than any gluggy brush on rubbish. Also, it sprays on blue but dries black so you can see when it is ready for another coat. Have also heard good things about POR 15 but never used it. Its not cheap though and to do the entire floor would use a fair bit of product I would imagine.

jasongroves, Dec 17, 6:10pm
Think I will go with the Por 15.
Its easy to get (4 distributors in Dunedin) and after talking to a panel beater at work today it sounds like the way to go.
I am happy to pay a bit more up front for something that's going to do the job properly.I only want to have to do it once:)
Also, doesn't matter what it looks like as it will be carpeted over when finished.