Car recommendations

Page 1 / 2
hazyd, Jan 19, 5:44am
I need to get a new car this weekend. Looking for something reliable with a bit of power but not over the top. Preferably rear wheel drive. Been looking at altezzas and silvias. Budget = under $12k. Any suggestions!

intrade, Jan 19, 5:51am
rwd is uncommon now . cars you talk are front drive .Did you see the news car prices are on the up now so you will need to spend your 12g fast befor the car you want is up at 16 grand in a few month from now.

panicky, Jan 19, 5:56am
altezza's and silvia's are both RWD

trdbzr, Jan 19, 5:58am
Altezza's and Silvia's are both RWD. Not FWD. What will you be using it for mainly!

danni_2254, Jan 19, 5:59am
R33/4 Skyline or BMW320/3/5/8

hazyd, Jan 19, 5:59am
Mainly for getting to work etc. But will do some long drives fairly often going up north.

hazyd, Jan 19, 6:01am
Are BMW's fairly expensive when something goes wrong!

ninja_man, Jan 19, 6:02am
take a type r integra for a drive and see if you like them. it may suprise you (and have heaps of cash left over)

hazyd, Jan 19, 6:04am
Yeah I have thought about that. Although I have never liked Honda's. Not for any good reason though.

danni_2254, Jan 19, 6:06am
It really depends, compared to Honda Civics they are more expensive; compared to Type E jags they are cheap.

foxdonut, Jan 19, 6:08am
Stay away from BMW's.

The sort of budget you're aiming for won't buy that great an example. If you go BMW, make sure its *minimum* of 2.5 litres (3 series) and really, I wouldn't bother with a 5 unless it was a 540 (V8)

hazyd, Jan 19, 6:10am
Hmmmm probably not keen on a BMW

ninja_man, Jan 19, 6:17am
haha allgood, was worth a try

chazzwick, Jan 19, 6:23am
Not sure what model you are after but owning an S14 for a few years now sure have been wonderful. I'm finding the SR20 motor extremely realiable as it hasn't failed me once. Great on gas and it's got a fair bit of power when you need it.

I highly recommend checking out the Nissan Silvia S15.

hazyd, Jan 19, 6:27am
Cool I'm leaning towards the S15 at the moment.

fordcrzy, Jan 20, 4:05am
i say it every time.
'98 or '99 mazda MX5 RS model.

the RS model has a six speed gearbox (same manufacturer as the 200sx 6 speed) and an 1800 engine and Limited slip diff.dont get sucked in to buying a 1600, they dont have the features of the 1800.

i'd take both the nissan and the MX5 RS for a spin and see which you prefer. they are both good cars. What the mx5 loses in straight line grunt it more than makes up for in handling and GRIN factor.the nissan is a bit more sterile and bland

detroitauto, Jan 20, 4:23am
XR6

owene, Jan 20, 4:54am
So is this an urge decision or have you been planning the purchase for a while!

carstauranga001, Jan 20, 5:23am
Everyone will think he's a queer hairdresser. Opologies to queer hairdressers, the one's I've met arn't bad people really.

fordcrzy, Jan 20, 5:37am
and driving a near stock Nissan silvia people will think hes a just out of school "management" apprentice who still leaves at home

ninja_man, Jan 20, 5:38am
get the spec R Silvia if you want performance. mx5 is a bit of a chicks car imo

kazbanz, Jan 20, 5:45am
mapman--good car but thirsty in the 3.0l

ninja_man, Jan 20, 5:46am
and there arnt any manual ones

edangus, Jan 20, 7:28am
Mos Def

edangus, Jan 20, 7:28am
Damn good cars! Cheap on long distance, fantastic driving.