Tyre recommendations please!

Page 1 / 2
sammycat, Jan 13, 4:09am
I'm replacing the tyres on my Atenza wagon - 215/45/17's. Every tyre shop I rang recommended different tyres and I'm now totally confused!
My main requirements are good handling, then quiet ride, then durability - if I could get all three I'll be happy.
Main options so far:
Yokohama A Drive, Toyo Teo Plus $179
Goodyear Assurance $190
BF Goodrich G Force Sport $195
Toyo Proxes C1S $205
Bridgestone Ecopia $211

Can anyone offer some wise words / guidance to narrow these down!! Is there an obvious winner here! There's obviously quite a price range from top to bottom - I'm looking for the best combination of price vs quality within my needs listed above.

Any help would be appreciated!

sammycat, Jan 13, 4:32am
I got recommended plenty of cheap rubbish for sure!

I got quoted $225 on the RE002's (Tony's undercutting Firestone) - just wasn't sure if I was getting a bit carried away for the type of driving we do. thanks for the reply.

sammycat, Jan 13, 4:40am
That's probably getting a touch high - the credit card's already on it's last legs after Christmas! I'll check out the ZE912, I did get one place suggest that. thanks

vtecintegra, Jan 13, 4:44am
While we're on tyres does anyone have recommendations fro 215/55R17!

I'm finding there is surprisingly little choice in this size despite it being OE on the Maxima, Skyline, Aurion, Camry and I'm sure other cars

vr4_legnum, Jan 13, 4:53am
Go Falken ZE912, They are awesome tyre, Im plan on useing them when it come time to replace the front very soon.

They one of our best selling tyres at work aswell

phillip.weston, Jan 13, 4:55am
I think any of the options you've listed are fairly good. I would probably pick the Yoko A drives as they are a good all round tyre, a good price, and made in Japan still. Many of the other tyres are now made in China. The Goodyear NCT-5 fitted to my mother's Mazda6 hatch were good but when it came time to fit replacements the new Chinese made NCT-5s on the rear were a noticeably different tyre than the older Japanese made NCT-5s on the front and I felt the quality was lower too.

phillip.weston, Jan 13, 4:57am
Oh yeah another vote for the Toyo tyres as well, have had Proxes T1R, RA-1 and CF-1s and thoroughly rate them. The Bridgestone Ecopias may just be worth spending a little more for if they do truly save fuel like they claim they would - but I have heard that their wet weather cornering grip is far less than others.

vtecintegra, Jan 13, 5:02am
Cheers will have another look

Seemed like most of my choices were either cheap and nasty or up near $300 each

vr4_legnum, Jan 13, 5:12am
You should be able to get GT Radial 228 for around $220-$240. They a not a bad tyre, Be good around town and abit of open road driving. Just keep looking

vr4_legnum, Jan 13, 5:13am
Oh and the Falken is make in Japen aswell.

next-to-normal, Jan 13, 5:28am
hankook are a good wearing trye

vpholdie, Jan 13, 5:40am
i would recommend Ecopia in both the 215/45R17 and 215/55r17 if you a nice quiet tyre with good handling or slighter cheaper Firestone TZ700 in both sizes also.

gram, Jan 13, 5:51am
GoodyearEagleF1 GSD3 Nothing else comes close.

vpholdie, Jan 13, 5:54am
try this auction 439769542

vr4_legnum, Jan 13, 6:00am
Just ashame they don't make them anymore

vr4_legnum, Jan 13, 6:01am
Lol. no they not they. are crap

sw20, Jan 13, 6:08am
Awesome when they were available and made in Germany. The Chinese ones were garbage then they stopped making them.

OP I'd go for either the Toyos or the Yokohama A Drives.

trdbzr, Jan 13, 6:14am
Hyper in Auckland has the Toyo T1R in 215/45/17 going for $194 retail. Ring them up and they could probably do it for cheaper.

sw20, Jan 13, 6:22am
TIR probably a bit noisy for the OP's need. Great tyre otherwise.

electromic, Jan 13, 6:26am
I would go toyo T1R if you can get them. I found them much better in the wet than the 912. They were quiet and lasted 40 000km on the back of a skyline (thats double the k's that i got from other tyres).

tantric5, Jan 13, 6:52am
http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/

great tyre reviews by owners

sammycat, Jan 13, 6:55am
Thanks everyone for your replies, I had to pop out for a while. I think that's narrowed it down some - I'll have another look through your suggestions.

edangus, Jan 13, 7:18am
I like Yoko C Drives. and S drives. round $200.00 a piece.

Also Like the Falken range ZE912 or FK452

But then again everyone is different

akaniva, Jan 13, 9:58pm
http://www.whatsonsale.co.nz/product/728690.aspx

I got some of these, Goodride brand, actually they are very quiet, cheap and seem to hold the road fine.

zoltec45, Jan 14, 7:07am
I thought bridgestone potenza RE050 or RE040 were from factory on them