Mazda Demio 2003 Radio Panel

Page 1 / 2
theedge76, Mar 5, 8:53pm
Thread bump again, after an exhaustive search, I have to admit defeat. It looks like it's impossible to replace this radio, ie, the correct faceplate/fascia doesn't exist and probably never will. The next car I get will most likely be a Mazda Verisa. I've already had a look online and found the correct fascia already:

http://www.suavdvdgps.com/UPloadfiles/201112023445900.jpg

Having said that, it's a pity the Demio doesn't allow the radio to be changed - seems to be the only Mazda car I've ever come across that doesn't allow this.

Anyone else found the same thing!

theedge76, Mar 5, 10:14pm
Unfortunate, really.they're good cars otherwise.

churchie1, Jun 21, 3:16am
Does anyone know how to remove radio panel from a 2003 Demio ! I want to fit a band expander but cant get the panel off !

churchie1, Jun 21, 3:18am
Does any body know how to remove the radio panel from a 2003 Demio! I want to fit a band expander but cant get the radio panel off !

jasongroves, Jun 21, 5:24am
Should be very similar to this:
http://www.fitaudio.com/!View=entry&EntryID=114

andrea_w, Jun 21, 5:31am
Thats for a 1998 to 2003 model, it will depend what model the OP has. Newer model like in my link or the previous shape in your link.
The newer one will not come apart like the older one, the newer one has a fully integrated stereo as a single panel with the heater controls, hazard switch and stereo all in one. These come apart in a totally different way to just removing the stereo!

To remove the older model stereo, you need 'euro keys'. Or shape a coat hanger or any solid wire with a grinder. They are a U shaped key with a shaped point to 'grab' the stereo and pull it out
These are the euro keys http://www.deals-on-ice.co.uk/shop/images/uni%20keys.jpg

andy61, Jun 21, 5:57am
There is a 10mm bolt on the right side of the stereo behind the plastic between the stereo and the steering column ,(kinda up by the pedals and behind the dash, hope it makes sense)undo that bolt and then pull the stereo panel out

andrea_w, Jun 21, 6:21am
Dont do it - and put up with like 2 radio stations!!
Nice tip kaz, its not common but there are sometimes 'breaks' in the line, obviously there is one there!
A multimeter will help, best is ACC power, not permanent. Make sure it has 12v or 14v ish when the car is on

andrea_w, Jun 21, 6:45am
kaz : Is that the aerial in the centre of the roof right by the windscreen! (just curious)
Removing that kick panel will definitely be the easy way to go about it. and yeah I did install them down there on some cars! I think the RX-8 has an aerial plug behind the passenger kick panel which is where an expander gets installed
Haha Nissans and Toyotas are sooo easy to work on :D

andy61, Jun 21, 6:50am
I have done 2 2003 Demios and found it straightforward and simple to get the stereo out and connect a band expander ,why try to turn it into a major mission when its not!

andrea_w, Jun 21, 6:52am
andy : what shape! The newer 2003 shape with the intergrated stereo or the old 2003 shape where the stereo is very easy to remove!

andy61, Jun 21, 9:55am
New Shape(2003+) with the intergrated stereo.

galex, Jun 26, 3:37am
yeah carbon fiber or a look alike, the air vents etc also have same pattern, I also spent HOURS trying to find a new panel online, found sweet very little. i suppose that one could have been custom made.

theedge76, Jul 2, 7:43pm
It is custom made, but good luck trying to get one here (basically impossible). The only car dealer I spoke to who would tell me anything about it said it arrived from Japan with that on.

jasongroves, Jul 11, 4:24am

theedge76, Jul 20, 6:05am
Thread bump:
Came across this video today, not really suitable for my Demio, but may be of interest to someone here:

http://youtu.be/WMzlczPpupw

kazbanz, Jul 20, 8:21am
the edge--this is worth pursuing for sure. -looks like a good practical solution

theedge76, Jul 20, 9:09am
The website that sells them is ksize.ru
Pity I can't read Russian tho :(

theedge76, Jul 23, 7:25am
I had a car stereo installer guy out who source their equipment from the company you suggested, but they don't have them either :( Thanks for the suggestion anyway.

robertsons-nes, Jul 23, 7:54am
try gary digital logistics cheaper than eds

theedge76, Jul 24, 10:08am
Not really worried about price, the issue is trying to find the correct fascia.

kazbanz, Jul 25, 12:29am
When you find one can you post up on here who you got it from.

Can you run through a step by step on how you got the facia off!

theedge76, Jul 31, 10:00pm
The guy who sold me mine told me that apparently when you take off the aircon buttons, there are some screws that you undo, which allows the whole unit to come off. My car stereo installer just ended up installing the band expander around the back of the dashboard and had to feel his way around - but it seems to work reasonably well.

kazbanz, Aug 1, 12:21am
Theedge --"the guy" who sold you the car . Had he ever actually pulled one to pieces !
I'm not in anyway having a go but would REALLY like to have a step by step on pulling the facia off by someone who has actually done it successfully.

andy61, Aug 1, 12:35am
Punta-it is reasonably straightforward to getting the facia off,as I said earlier ,there is a bolt on the side of the stereo -kinda up by the pedals behind the plastic covers on the console,undo that bolt(10mm head,If its has been removed before the bolt may be missing),then pull the facia panel out(it is only clipped into place) ,the whole facia panel comes out with heater ,a/c controls etc still attached.