Mazda Demio 2003 Radio Panel

Page 2 / 2
theedge76, Aug 4, 12:14pm
I have no idea if he had removed it successfully or not, he just mentioned what screws you needed to undo. It was all academic in the end anyway, as I ended up with the band expander, which was installed around the back of the radio.

richms, Aug 4, 12:43pm
So what do they do in japan when they want to put a proper stereo into these things!

kazbanz, Aug 4, 10:10pm
So far out of the 20 demio's I've owned not one has had an aftermarket sterio fitted so I guess the japs have it in the "too hard" basket.
Andy--If you're ever up here I'd apreciate you showing me the bolt. --I've just crawled uut from under there and I just cant see the darn bolt.

theedge76, Aug 5, 11:00am
The radio works perfectly in Japan, as it runs on the FM frequencies they use (76FM-90FM). It's when their cars are exported to other countries that it becomes a problem. I guess when they build their cars they don't think about the export market.

It's a pity that you can't just flick a switch or something on the radio and have it run on either "Japanese mode", "European mode" or "American mode" or something like that - that would be very useful.

kazbanz, Aug 5, 8:37pm
Nope sorry dude I promise you they will never do that.
The reason the Japs have a hard fixed frequency limit on their radios is that the Emergency services (and some public service) use these frequencies for their comms.
What would be nicer in my opinion is if there was a switch on all Jap cars that turned over to english for all the on screen hyroglyphics.
Mind you a clever mainstrean radio station I'da thought would broadcast at the lower frequencies as well as the upper.Good commercial sense I would have thought

theedge76, Aug 6, 6:44am
That would mean double the licences and double the cost for a minor audience, I doubt that would happen. That would also screw up anyone who did get a band expander installed. It'd be far easier if they just designed the radio with multiple frequencies (maybe have a radio run from 76FM-108FM to cover everyone!).but anyway, looks like in this car, you're stuck with what you get.

I found this article quite interesting in relation to this issue:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FM_broadcasting_in_Japan

theedge76, Aug 8, 1:07am
As an aside, I found this British site:

http://www.dynamicsounds.co.uk/fascia-panels-mazda-c-47_86_166.html

If anyone is going to have a Demio fascia available, I would say it would probably be these guys.but they don't have anything (yet).

kazbanz, Aug 18, 5:38am
bumping this up because I wanna know when a new idea comes up

richms, Aug 18, 5:48am
Except the radios in them are pieces of shit and by now will stop reading discs. Have no Aux/ipod connections, only 6 presets, no bluetooth and other things that need upgrading.

Normal stereo size is one of the top things on my list when looking at cars. Been burned before with having to spend more on dash crap then a headdeck when replacing some piece of shit GPS thing from japan.

theedge76, Aug 19, 10:54am
My one is still reading CDs fine, and it has 12 FM and 6 AM presets.but yes, I do agree with you, it would be great to be able to replace it with something I'd actually *want* as a radio, not something I was *forced* to use a a radio. It's also something else I'll be taking into account with the next car I get, ie, can this be replaced.

richms, Aug 19, 4:04pm
the one I looked at had 2 lots of 6 which is a pain in the ass. Why do they do that! Do they think people will have his and hers presets or something daft!

5 years is about it for cds when I was using them, and the lack of an aux in means usnig something practical isnt an option. And WTF is with those poxy ipod plugs that some cars have now! Talk about useless to a non iSheep.

kazbanz, Aug 25, 7:38pm
I THINK that double din hole setup is factory in the later model demio's -either a double din radio or a single din with pocket
Its the (late) 02--05 models that have the difficult setup.
Im happy for someone to prove me wrong here because the late model stuff I looked in involved a glance inside not a full on checkover

theedge76, Aug 29, 10:10am
I *may* have found someone who can do this changeover for me - I'll let you know.

kazbanz, Oct 8, 9:10pm
theedge--ALL jap import radios only get up to 90fm.
And yea the mazda 2 idea has been explored -Ie swapping out a mazda 2 radio with a demio. Trouble is the wreckers want moonbeams for em

theedge76, Oct 9, 8:10am
Yep, but it seems that the Mazda 2's that arrive here (that I've seen anyway) have the correct frequencies on the radio - the Demio's don't.

As to the wreckers, have you been asking around kaz! What have you found!

Still looking at a Verisa for my next car.already found the faceplate online :)

theedge76, Apr 6, 10:18pm
Bump: did you ever end up getting one installed like this! Did it work! :)