Car stereo cant pick up FM radio

leni2, Apr 30, 12:00pm
Any suggestions> it is a Tech and quite a good one, picks up AM, plays CD's etc, but when I try to scan for an FM station it cant pick any up.
Any ideas!

roys351, Apr 30, 12:04pm
if it is in a jappa inport you will need a band expander cheep and easy to fit

johnf_456, Apr 30, 12:05pm
Band expander, what sort of car!

roys351, Apr 30, 12:13pm
i think you already know john but just to be sure jap inported cars with factory radios or as i know them (wireless) do not go up the dial enough to pick up our stations however you may well pick up police bands on them

johnf_456, Apr 30, 12:15pm
I don't know what sort of car, reason I ask is not all japanese cars can have a aftermarket radio fitted. Has if it can take a aftermarket go for it imho if not band expander. You can get radios cheap now that have usb and aux in.

leni2, Apr 30, 12:19pm
its a '96 honda accord station wagon. so can I get an adapter on TM! or where!

leni2, Apr 30, 12:22pm
The Stereo doesn't look like a factory fit. It is a Technics CD player. very nice. If you search for the station it goes straight past them

roys351, Apr 30, 12:26pm
band expanders .repco dick smith .sca and most likly wharehouse

leni2, Apr 30, 12:32pm
Easy to install for a regular person or do I need to get it installed!

jono2912, Apr 30, 6:44pm
Sorry, but have you checked the aerial is plugged in! Sometimes with it unplugged you can still receive AM but not FM

fordluva, Apr 30, 9:19pm
So it shows the correct station on the screen but doesnt pick it up! sounds like the aerial rather than needing an expander, remove the head unit and check to make sure its connected, also is it a rear mount electric aerial! often people disconnect them if they crap out (grind etc) if so check the connections at the aerial as well if no luck there its possible the cable is damaged, could also be determined by trying another aerial directly into the back of the head unit if you can borrow one from somewhere.

richard198, Dec 30, 4:14pm
+1.
If it is plugged in and you're convinced it's an import radio; a band expander is an easy fix so long as you're able to remove head unit. Just need to pick up a live wire. I wouldn't recommend them though. They tend to fail easily.