Jump starting a motorbike

Page 1 / 2
fordzfly, Oct 29, 1:33am
Can this be done with some jumper leads and a car battery! bike is a dr250

bigjerry, Oct 29, 1:34am
dr 250 i think would be 6 volt. a bike is easy to push start though

fordzfly, Oct 29, 1:45am
yeah shouldnt be to bad to push. Just want to crank it over to see if it will go. Has had some welding done in the past on it and since then wont go.
But not sure if thats why i wouldnt start

crzyhrse, Oct 29, 2:11am
Yes, it can be jump started if the battery you're jumping it off is the same voltage.

Just run start it in 2nd or 3rd.

noswalg, Oct 29, 2:19am
I jump start a scooter all the time off a car battery, hasn't done any damage yet!

richynuts, Oct 29, 2:34am
Did you disconnect CDI and battery before the welding was done!

fordzfly, Oct 29, 2:39am
Not my bike just been left at my house for the last year. but no im guessing

toppo1, Oct 29, 3:14am
id say CDI is fucked if it wasnt disconected before welding was done. Did it go before the welding was done!

fordzfly, Oct 29, 3:32am
yea it did. Very minimal welding done and also noticed it had next to no fuel in it. so if its all right to jump start i will fuel it up and have a crack. Just a bit lazy to push it lol

crzyhrse, Oct 29, 3:55am
Then fresh fuel and tow start it.

Check for spark first though.

fordzfly, Oct 29, 4:25am
can check for spark mate its got a dead flat battery.

fryan1962, Oct 29, 4:29am
not ideal but I have jumped my 6 volt car of my 12 volt battery, better still disconnect battery it will spin over quick, just dont do it for long

toppo1, Oct 29, 4:40am
Doesnt take much, one arc strike will do it, my moneys on the
CDI being dead

bigjerry, Oct 29, 7:53am
Surely it has a kick start! Check for spark and if you got that, give it a run up and jump on it mate, probably less energy than organising a jump anyway.

taipan4, Oct 29, 8:05am
cdi will be stuffed if it has welding done on it, no spark no go.

zak410, Oct 29, 8:41am
if sparks, put bike on blocks, second gear on and hand spin the back wheel. but run start (as in "le mans" start) be easy as if you have spark.

bigjerry, Oct 29, 8:43am
KICK START! Does the thing have a kick starter!

m16d, Oct 29, 9:10am
Dont tow start it. bad idea. I know this.

davidgb, Oct 29, 9:15am
probably stuffed the CDI when welding was done. borrow cdi from a similar bike!

zak410, Oct 29, 9:18am
Did you crash!
OOooch!

noswalg, Oct 29, 11:04am
I push started a honda 100cc once after letting a mate play around with the tuning, i jumped on it side saddle style and the thing fired wheel stood down the driveway threw me off and somehow managed to catch my leg between the tyre and the guard, my ankle ended up right at the top of the wheel with it spinning at about 3000 or so RPM. Burnt the f@#k out of my ankle, my mate had to let the air out of the tyre to get my foot out. Learnt a valuable lesson that day

zak410, Oct 29, 10:43pm
THAT'S definitely a big OOooch!
what a freak accident, you could never do it if you try!

crzyhrse, Oct 29, 10:48pm
All a result of the two mistakes.

Have you heard of a clutch and a kill switch!

I've tow started all sorts of bikes that haven't run for ages. Everything from a Yamaha RX125 to a FZR1000. The trick is (1) don't TIE the tow rope on and (2) be prepared.

noswalg, Oct 29, 11:23pm
Read my post again, I was PUSH starting the bike and after an hour or so of trying to get it to fire to no avail, no I wasn't expecting it to fire nor was I expecting it to be stuck on about 3000 RPM when it did. As for the clutch and the kill switch it's all good saying it but it happened so fast I was off the bike before I could even process what was unfolding.

noswalg, Jan 16, 5:09pm
Yep big ouch all right, the worst bit was there was burnt rubber all mixed in with the burnt skin (its amazing how hard skin can go with a bit of friction) as I said though a valuable lesson learnt that day and I have never push started a bike again doing the side saddle thing!