Motorbike suggestions

gummybear73, Jan 6, 9:11am
looking at getting a motorbike to hlep reduce fuel costs and am currently looking at a Suzuki Gn250, does anyone else have any suggestions for bike similar to this!

pettal, Jan 6, 9:13am
Yamaha Scorpio 225 .

cassina1, Jan 6, 9:28am
The Honda 250 with the fairing is much nicer but more expensive. Nothing wrong with the Suzuki GN though as the have been around for over 20 years I think

rednsr, Jan 6, 9:29am
Honda Nsr 250 sp. Easy bike to learn on.

gunhand, Jan 6, 9:30am
Do you have a full licence or are you just starting out!

kazbanz, Jan 6, 11:26am
as gunhand says-do you have a licence!--if so i'd avoid a 250 like the plague they are always higher priced than equivilant 300-500cc bikes which have the same economy

richynuts, Jan 6, 12:01pm
yes almost 30 years

kiwi-d, Jan 6, 12:15pm
yamaha sr250

r15, Jan 6, 12:27pm
do you plan to keep your car as well!

if so, are you likely to save the cost of 12 months rego, 2 wof's, 3rd party insurance, parts / maintenance & depreciation every year!

you may be better off to just keep the car, or move completely to the bike

singing1, Jan 6, 1:11pm
They are a good cheap bike for a learner.
If you have your full license you could go to a bike shop and try a few on.
Most shops are more then happy to help you find something that fits your needs.

mantagsi, Jan 6, 8:09pm
Newer GN250's have questionable build quality, so if you get one check it carefully, make sure its a good one then try not to be too disappointed if it lets you down :) fun little bikes to potter around on though, and so easy to ride

wackmac, Jan 6, 8:12pm
Depending on the distance you have to travel, a scooter may even work for you.

plasticboys, Jan 6, 8:30pm
a boss hoss

a.woodrow, Jan 6, 9:16pm
I've owned a 2004 gn250, great bike, cheaper than a 50cc scooter to run around town. Very forgiving bike if you're learning. Struggled to get to 100km/h but zippy enough round town. Later ones are a bit cheaply built compared to earlier models, if you get a later one expect the chrome to be rusty now or in the very near future, they hold their value well though so if you're looking at a learner bike you won't lose much (if any) when you trade up

edit: As poster 2 said, yamaha scorpio 225cc is also a good option, they have a bit more go in them, and another rung up the ladder handling and style wise - definately worth a look as they are in a similar price range

loonee-dial-111, Jan 6, 9:16pm
+1
I have driven and talked to a number of people with 250s and I second this.
I have a mate who had one, great fuel mileage and I couldn't believe how fast it went when we went riding on the open road. Wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it. They're not expensive either. Was reliable too.
GNs are rubbish compared to this.

tats63, Jan 7, 2:07am
If you go for a GN make sure you keep it in a garage and clean and lube regularly - they are prone to rust if not looked after, Iguess thats the price you pay for a budget bike.