Why do I feel the need to change my motorbike!

Page 1 / 2
bazzaw2, Jan 7, 4:45am
Hi community. I own (3 years) a perfectly wonderful Ducati ST2 that I ride weekends on the West Coast twisty roads returning always with a broad smile. But lately I have been reading m/c mags and feel the calling of some of the very powerful naked bikes (B king, Tuono, Speed triple, K1200R etc). or perhaps an "adventure" bike withmore upright seating. Supermotard could be good on my local roads! Would I miss the fairing! Would I be constantly frustrated by the speed limit! Would I have more fun! I'm 50+ prefer torque, smooth, stable cornering and the occasional heart racing speed thrill. I still don't mindthe body lean forward riding position. PS Would A Hayabusa be ridiculous!

richynuts, Jan 7, 5:02am
I would personally go for the 675 street triple if it were me. Did you happen to do the 'Bottle Lightening Rally' in Reefton, I did it on my trx 850 and was pretty good apart from laying it down after losing it on a shingle road and then getting a puncture. Yes a busa would be crazy with all the shingle back roads over there, you need to see as much ofthe coast as you can, so that means travelling off some of the main roads, you are so lucky with all that scenery!

richard198, Jan 7, 5:33am
That's a wide range of bikes (Supermotard to Busa). The ST3/s would be a sensible step up performance wise. It looks like you want a change from Ducati though so how about Moto Guzzi Griso!
(PS, I ride a 2000 750ss and love it (used to have an SP1000) but if I changed would go back to Guzzi.)

gunhand, Jan 7, 6:00am
No a hayabusa would not be a bad choice at all.
extreamlly compatant bike. Great for touring as you can get 300kms out of a tank if you keep it sane. Bullet proof enginerring. Very comfortable long distance. Not great for twisties but you would be surprised even so. great on long sweepers. Excellent two up.And putting a set of risers and double bubble screens makes it a whole lot better. Another good choice would be a ZX14, makes the (not new shape) Bussa look like a tractor. Toatally awesome bike. Or if you want everthing in some degree a 14 Concourse.
But if your used to a ST a Vstrom or simalier may be the go.
And yes you do change your ways as you get older LOL

bazzaw2, Jan 7, 6:01am
I have to admit to liking the look of the Griso (and the sound.) The 8v models get rave reviews.I would be interested if taller riders find the Griso comfortable (I'm 6'2"). I have also seen a few triumph triples on the Punakaiki run and the riders seem to be smiling

gunhand, Jan 7, 6:06am
Research the griso big time before you do. Rave reviews dont make for long term goodness of it.

bazzaw2, Jan 7, 6:45am
Desmo, beautifultoys, I would love to find myself riding both and then choosing. In my mind they seem perfect for our roads. After I win lotto tonight the obvious answer will be to build a big shed and fill it with a selection of motorcycle finery. I would need to win lotto to pay rego on a dozen bikes. In the shed would be all my old bikes I regret selling including the Suzuki GT 750 I owned in the 80's just so I could feel tank slap, frame flex and mental 2 stroke power again, then quickly put it away.

richard198, Jan 7, 6:46am
When I stood next to that Hypermotard it seems so small!

bazzaw2, Jan 7, 7:17am
That is one thing that puts me of this sort bike, is looking like a giant on a small bike, I suppose that's why some bigger blokes ride big cruisers

countrypete, Jan 7, 7:35am
I rode a B-King from Christchurch to Wanganui last year.Bear in mind I don't like lay-down-over-the-tank sports bikes, but the B-King was an absolute Ball of fun to ride.Fairly upright compared to a sports bike means less pressure on the wrists, and man oh man the power!

They weren't great sellers new as the styling is a bit contentious, but they are super value second hand - $12k can buy you a 2010 registered bike.I reckon these are a future classic like a Z1 Kawasaki or a GT750 Waterbus.

richynuts, Jan 7, 7:58am
future classics are bikes that were raced in their day i.e Yamaha RD350LC or perhaps bikes that everyone had in the day and stepping stone to years of motorcycling,i.e Honda SL125. To me a a B-king is going to be a classic more like a '85 'pop up headlight' 750 katana, didn't achieve anything apart from unusual styling, so not really a classic in my view.

m16d, Jan 7, 8:12am
If your really looking for a powerful naked bike then spare a thought for the Predator.
Designed and assembled in Italy with the best Honda motor and gearbox.

rednsr, Jan 7, 9:33am
Have you looked into the rsv4 tuono or the old v twin type!

oliver6, Jan 7, 9:43am
I have a Ducati Hypermotard, and an LC4 640 Adventure, and an LC4 640 Enduro, and a Bandit 1200 and an MV Augusta.
They are all great.
I recently did a trip from Auck to the Pancake rocks and north through Westport etc on the Adventure , then back through Greymouth, Reefton, Hamner Springs, Kaikoura etc. It was great and the bike performed well. The Hypermotard is good fun and OK for summer touring. The Bandit is perfect all round. The MV is good for a 3 hour thrill.

rednsr, Jan 7, 9:48am
Just like your mum.

oliver6, Jan 7, 9:49am
My Mum is 93 and a bit frail. I think 3 hours of anything would be a bit much.

bazzaw2, Jan 7, 6:47pm
Good stuff fellow enthusiasts. Fine day here on the coast and I will ride the Buller Gorge playing dodge the camper van and Dad on holiday with the family wagon who likes to cross the centre line. My mate will ride his SV650 and will be hard to keep up with. However it would seem that I like the power and feel of a road bike, something about just knowing a silly amount HP is lurking makes my heart beat stronger. Indulgence.

nihilist, Jan 7, 9:57pm
I just got rid of my GSXR750 and replaced it with a MTO1 totally naked and oh so brilliant.
Do i miss the fairings and skirts!
Hell no, i love the freedom again.
Oh the sound it makes is just orgasmic.

rednsr, Jan 8, 6:25am
Hahaha.

pillion4ever, Jan 8, 2:39pm
If you haven't gone naked for a while then borrow a friends bike. I won't go naked again because I like not being blown off the bike, I like the little dry it affords me and I like the comfort. Then again I've had friends who've gone naked because it creates a sensation of speed that naturally slows them.

What ever you decide, ride it first for a bit, google them. Reviews are good but the owned experience is better. It's suprising how much you can learn about a bikes faults from google and forums.

Outside of that I prefer Japanese. Just been to BMW for the last new one and they're a POS. Most unreliable bike I've owned.

singing1, Jan 8, 7:02pm
Have you tried risers for your current bike to get the weight off your wrists and get you a little more upright! F1E Motorcycle Works (Waikato) has them online, I think.

bazzaw2, Jan 9, 7:52am
So how many of you ride many bikes before deciding!
How many buy on gut feeling, mates and reviews!
For the amount you can spend try before you buy seems hard to do.

gunhand, Jan 9, 7:58am
Ive owned many and ridden many more. If Im buying one I ride it and if not happy within acouple of kms it goes back. I get a gut feeling almost instantly when I ride a different bike. If I dont like it straight away no matter how hyped it may be Im not going to like it later either.
Although I did get caught out on one bike but it took 100km plus tripsbefore I hated it LOL.

ninja_man, Jan 9, 8:14am
i would go for a supermotard. something different and great fun to ride. But if its all open road stuff then stick with a road bike, i like the sound of the triples.

gunhand, Jan 9, 8:37am
Yep, very nice indeed.Ive riddeb earlier vesions and they were quite nice as well.