What is the best oil for 2003 manual Mazda rx8!

jackie123, Nov 11, 7:05am
synthetic or mineral!

who uses what! please help

savanna71, Nov 11, 7:12am
Mazdas own mineral rotary engine oil or idemitsu synthetic

rednsr, Nov 11, 7:24am
A couple of years back ford/mazda sent out a flyer advising against the use of synthetic oil in the rx8. It emulsifies and turns to gunge.

jackie123, Nov 11, 7:27am
ok thanks guys, i know nothin but love to drive my car and dont wanna stuff it up

saki, Nov 12, 12:08am
Always used helix 10-40 in my road rotarys and Amsoil 20-50 full sinthetic in my race engines.

74nova, Nov 12, 3:42am
Rice oil.

bevharris1938, Nov 12, 4:35am
I use 20-50 castrol gtx in mine :-) Was told by a recomended rotary mechanic that 10-40 was to thin. Each to their own i suppose. 1996 rx7 not rx8. But do not use synthetic.

saki, Nov 12, 9:07am
10-40 is fine only use 20-50 in my old cortinas, got this from the original rotary guru the late Bill Shiels

horsepower7, Nov 12, 10:14am
special expensive stuff haha

bellky, Nov 12, 7:44pm
^^ this is bad advice imo (sorry mate)

you can use 15/40 or 20/50 like the other dud said. best advice is to search ausrotary.com and rx7club.com and rx8club.com etc etc for heaps of info on oil to use in rota and make up your own informed mind! :-)

savanna71, Nov 12, 8:03pm
Do enlighten me as to why

bellky, Nov 13, 12:00am
ok mate i'm gonna sound like i'm full of it (but so what). i don't have the energy at the mo to spoon feed the info (there is so much available it's not funny) but i can tell you this.

i'm on ausrotary and other rotary sites (kiwirotary, rotahavik, and rx7.com) all the time and this question about rotary oil comes up all the time. with regard to rx8s, from what i can gather the mazda oil is thin, synthetic, and not that good, and just makes money for mazda dealerships.

don't take my word for it though - in my opinion, a rotary owner is/should be an enthusiast and seek out information about his/her vehicle; to look after it better and to enjoy it more.

the best way to find the correct info is to google search your terms and click on good sources like: rx8.com, rx7.com, and ausrotary ok

saki, Nov 13, 3:59am
OK got it, But it is simple, high quality synthetic oils would work well the only problem being the oil metering system is set up to give X amount of drips of oil per minute, with synthetics being more slippery the injection metering valve will pass more of the finer oil, not a problem for the enthusiast who checks there oil regularly but those that dont will more than likly end up with little oil in the sump. No I dont read the rotary web sites , just experience from owning 7 of them,

savanna71, Feb 26, 5:54pm
Im well aware of what is and isnt suitable for rotary engines, having spent nearly 20 years owning and building them. The issue is SOME synthetics can attack the oil control o rings causing them to deteriorate and in renesis form can lead to carbon deposit buildup in the intake ports.
However Idemitsu make a rotary specific synthetic engine oil as used by mazda in their motorsports endeavours and thousands of people around the world with NO negative effects at all, i sugest you take a look at their product lineup

http://www.idemitsu-usa.com/page_207.htm