Un Insured Prick Reversed Into My Car

Page 1 / 2
starry29, Nov 16, 1:28am
my kids were in the car at the time and has caused a mere $460 worth of paint damage. hubby says not worth claiming insurance on it. is there anyway to enforce the person pay the repair without going through insurance!. he is walking around with a smirk on his face assuming he has gotten away with it my mum says [we were visiting her at the time]. would you just claim on insurance anyway! even for such a small repair bill. lol i am an angry heavily pregnant woman right now and would love to smack the smirk off his face

esprit, Nov 16, 1:37am
Well you can pursue them through small claims court, which should be pretty straightforward, although lots of hassle for you. Probably easier just to get your insurance to cover it and they'll open up some whupass on him on your behalf.

gooddealz2, Nov 16, 1:37am
If you claim on your insurance you'll probably find your excess is greater than the damage caused.I'd be taking him to small claims court perhaps.I had someone reverse into the side of my car recently and cause a similiar amount of damage but they just drove away so no idea who it was.I suspect a 4WD or Campervan given where I was parked and the fact it was at the time of the RWC.

bellky, Nov 16, 1:39am
^^this is the idea - when you win at dt. you'll still have to get the cash out of them. which won't be easy if they havn't agreed to pay already

kazbanz, Nov 16, 1:43am
starry--step 1 in this sorta case IMO should be to call thge cops.Reason being that at the very least you actually stand a chance of getting the drivers real name and address. They also might get a careless driving charge which will lend weigfht to any civil action

crzyhrse, Nov 16, 1:43am
You don't pay an excess if the party at fault is identified.

smac, Nov 16, 1:59am
Absolutely contact insurance. Even if you don't end up claiming (why wouldn't you) you may be surprised how helpful they can be finding out confirmed details etc Also file complaint with Police. May or may not help help, but guaranteed to get his attention.

As an aside though, the OP makes it sound like she knows the guy.more to it.

ontwowheels, Nov 16, 2:02am
as crzyhrse said, I am pretty sure our policy is that we only pay excess if we are at fault.
The cops should have been notified as soon as it happened, but its not too late.
so you need to
A) inform police of accident
B) talk to Ins company, if you do end up claiming, and the other driver is at fault they will pursue him.

3tomany, Nov 16, 2:13am
claim insurance if youre not at fault as they wont charge you the excess and will pursue at fault driver for money. easy

elect70, Nov 16, 2:23am
^^^ +1always, in case the little scrote tries toclaim you backed into him , it happens .

starry29, Nov 16, 2:33am
smac no don't know him. this happened in Auckland when visiting mum, she seems to know him as he lives in the flats she does, he is a foreigner, bermese! i think mum says. we got his rego . and his license sure isn't one i have seen before. paltry amount but why should we fit the bill when we didn't cause the damage grrrr. small claims court. had considered that, but we don't live in Auckland and would this mean we have to go there for this!. am so pi$$ed off. totally the last thing we need when weeks from having baby. grumble grumble. i think we may as well bite the bullet and just go through our insurance *stamps feet*.

guess what. i am visiting mum next month too!. how ironic would that be that he reverses into us again after the repair. HIS CAR IS TINY!

i do appreciate everyones input, so thanks guys xxxxx

crzyhrse, Nov 16, 3:22am
There's no such thing as Small Claims Court. It's the Disputes Tribunal and if you don't have a dispute they don't have juristiction.

imn, Nov 16, 4:09am
As others have said.claim on your insurance. Give them his name (if you have) and address.They will persue him for the money. You may have to pay excess in the interim, but once he has admitted liability,you should get it back. Dont leave it though. From the smirk he gave, perhaps he's done this before and/or maybe wouldnt care if he did it again.

lookoutas, Nov 16, 4:26am
You saw him do it!
Did you talk to him! And tell him he's liable.
Then do all of the above - Police & your Insurance Co.

pauldw, Nov 16, 5:25am
If it wasn't an injury accident how interested do you think the Police will be! They don't even bother attending most theft from cars.

trogedon, Nov 16, 5:35am
If you use the Disputes Tribunal you don't have to be physially present. They'll set up a phone line in a court where (or near where) you are.

trogedon, Nov 16, 5:36am
Not very.but fill in a Formal complaint form at the Police station. Thankfully the word Police (esp. to a possible illegal immigrant!) may put the wind up them.

aktow, Nov 16, 7:11am
my mother car was hit in a car park,, the person left a note on the car,, he wrote,, i hit your car but fuck you, luckily another person saw what happened and decided to read the note to see if he left his details, theperson then left a note with,, i saw this car,,make,model , rego,,,,time,,, hit your car . , he left his phone number etc to get hold of him if we need a witness.
well i got lucky.first i got his name and contact details from the police but he had shifted. i then phoned telecom and gave the guys name and address,, they said he has shifted and the only address they have is *************, i went to that address and i saw his car in the drive way.after i explained to him what will happen to him if he does not pay to get the car fixed,, we came to a arrangement, i asked a panel beater friend to cost out how much to fix the car,, he said if going through insurance $1800 but if he does a home job $200for me but $400 for him,, the guy had no money but i gave him a month to save $200 and i would come and get it. a month later he paid in full,,,

jeffqv, Nov 16, 7:16am
Didn't know that, cheers. Had a similar recently but the guy owned up, said sorry and paid next day.

starry29, Nov 16, 7:22am
well well well the guy in question and his friend visited my mum asking if we were going to get our insurance company involved, they don't want us to do that. mum says the guy is playing the "not very good english" game and having his friend speak on his behalf

grrrrrr

msigg, Nov 16, 7:40am
If you go through the insurance company then you will pay something even if its higher premiums next time round, and you will have to disclose claim on the form. better to ask for some mony or take to small claims court. I would tell the police , see if there interested or not. good luck.

trogedon, Nov 16, 7:42am
Save the GUTTER LANGUAGE for .the gutter.

aktow, Nov 16, 7:54am
dtarry29 don't piss about, you get insurance to stop any hassles, i had a car accident in marchwith a country hick from matamata ,i did have to chase him because he took off, he gave me so many excuses why he hit me, then it was my fault for not letting him change lanes,,he was not going to go through insurance until he got my panel beating bill,
My insurance company told me i had to go to court with them or i would lose My no claims and have to pay the$250 excess.
the night before the court date i was told the other driver did not want to come back to auckland and they paid up,,

aktow, Nov 16, 7:55am
what gutter LANGUAGEmoron,, only saying what he said. get a life loser

dr.doolittle, Nov 16, 8:02am
I'd bet there's lots of "Un Insured Prick" 's.
I havent insured mine, although I probably ought to .