Ford Transit sh*t itself

autografix, Nov 18, 2:13am
My 1999 Ford Transit is stuffed. Dropped a piston it seems. Last model motor to fit is 2000 so any second hand motors are high mileage. Just buying more probelms. Does anyone out there have a different solution!
Repower with something else or is it all a waste off time!

the-lada-dude, Nov 18, 2:22am
engine type !

autografix, Nov 18, 2:27am
x1
2.5 litre Diesel

kiwicon, Nov 18, 2:39am
RB30DET

friendly_prawn, Nov 18, 2:42am
V8 it. p76 or toyota v8.yeah baby.

pollymay, Nov 18, 3:20am
Grind the cam lobes off on that cylinder and just keep going, who needs 4 pistons anyway

bitsy_boffin, Nov 18, 3:31am
Rotary!

richardmayes, Nov 18, 4:09am
2000 Transit engine, with rings & bearings done before it goes in.!

a18a, Nov 18, 5:50am
nappies

franc123, Nov 18, 5:55am
^^ is going to be the best option, anything else is going to be a major engineering excercise and require certing of course.There are a couple of examples in NZ fitted with Nissan TD27 engines although whats involved in fitting one I don't know.Fit a rotary LOL, I'm sure the OP would appreciate more torque as opposed to a lot less than the OEM engine!You used to be able to buy new crate engines for these which were cheaper than doing a full rebuild.

scoobeey, Nov 18, 9:58am
Transhit best to cut your losses while you are ahead:))

ralphdog1, Nov 18, 10:03am
Being as roomy as they are, what about redefining as a chicken coup!

bae13, Nov 18, 7:25pm
Seriously get hold of ford and ask for a short block. I have been told they were $3500 brand new. Most wrecker would be wanting close to that for second hand! Plus 2nd hand pump will need coding etc etc.

autografix, Nov 20, 6:06pm
Thanks for all the help guys. I think I will flag the rota and nappies. The Transit had just clicked over 300,000K with only normal maintenance so we are well ahead but the van is a short wheelbase, low roof model and is the right size for what we do and inotherwise good condition. I will contact Ford to try that option. Will get back with any progress.

pinga08, Nov 20, 9:11pm
i brought a brand new engine from ford 3months ago minus the injector pump for 5000.00 which i thought was a good deal.

tigra, Nov 20, 9:16pm
Holden 6 in line conversions used to be very popular a few years back. Stuck a 289 Ford v8 in mine which wasnt a really major job at all. But I guess certification becomes an issue these days.

elect70, Nov 21, 12:16am
Pull it down first & price up parts needed before buying newdonk

franc123, Nov 18, 5:55am
^^ is going to be the best option, anything else is going to be a major engineering excercise and require certing of course.There are a couple of examples in NZ fitted with Nissan TD27 engines although whats involved in fitting one I don't know.Fit a rotary LOL, I'm sure the OP would appreciate more torque as opposed to a lot less than the OEM engine!You used to be able to buy new crate engines for these which were cheaper than doing a full rebuild.

edit:I'm referring to the mayes post, not nappies!