New clutch so why does it slip!

Page 2 / 4
bbbottle, Jan 14, 3:28am
ok i know how weird this is! i have done gear box changes before lots of them front and rear even a full conversion from auto to manualso when i use my clutch in the higher gears i do have a clutch but it is at the end of the pedal and when i put my foot down to speed up it rides/slipesbut not in the first two gears! and i have full clutch pressure in all gears !! i have bleed clutch no good

bbbottle, Jan 14, 3:31am
as for clutch pedal free play i have none and the pedal cant come away any further from the floor than it already is

thejazzpianoma, Jan 14, 3:49am
Tried that in the pool once. but found the MRS had to keep coming up for air at the most inopportune moments.

budgel, Jan 14, 4:16am
You have to get some free play, have another look at your linkage at the slave cylinder, look at the wrecked car and try to spot the difference between that and the van.

Is it a B series motor! I have a B2200 ute and will have a look at it to see what the arrangement is.

budgel, Jan 14, 4:23am
Ok, I've just had a look at my slave cylinder and I can grab hold of the pushrod that goes from the slave and rattle it back and forth about 1 or 2 mm. that will translate to quite a bit more at the pedal.

If you cant do that, then take the pushrod out from the slave cylinder and grind some off the end that goes into the cylinder.

I Know that sounds like a bodge repair, but that is what we are dealing with arent we!

for_an_angel, Jan 14, 5:13am
This izz your issue. no free play. you must have free play in your clutch pedal so azz the release bearing isn't loaded all the time. undoo the master cylinder rod locknut and shorten the rod untill you get free play

jcs4, Jan 14, 5:21am
you should be able to push the pedal down a small amount before it gets harder. in other words it should have some play in it.

movnon, Jan 14, 9:54am
not always true. some diaphragm pressure plates run no clearance, the hydraulics maintain the minimal clearance via the master cylinder set up.

pfemstn, Jan 14, 6:48pm
has the clutch master cylinder been replaced recently! may have been fitted with a brake cylinder, which would have a valve in the end.which could cause problems like this! what happens if you pump the brake pedal.!engine not running and stationary!

pfemstn, Jan 14, 6:58pm
also seen the same thing happen when the flexible hose between the master cylinder and slave has perished and a bit of rubber inside has operated as a valve,slowing or stopping the return of the slave pushrodhope these comments help!

budgel, Jan 14, 8:42pm
Why would you have to slip the clutch if you tried to take off in a higher gear if the load is always the same!I am talking about the load on the clutch, not the amount of power produced by the engine.

for_an_angel, Jan 15, 12:58am
Engine power and gear ratio aside effort on the clutch dose change. Getting a vehicle moving on a hill takes alot more effort on the clutch and trying the same movement in from 3rd gear in the same hill start takes alot more clutch slip to get moving. This argument is very strange as it's very straight forward isnt it! 1st gear little effort from engine and little clutch slip to get moving 4th gear alot more effort from engine and a huge amount of slip to get it moving! simple isnt it! or dose every one drive autos.

for_an_angel, Jan 15, 1:00am
Whattt ! have a read of what I posted and then reread what you have just said. same bloody thing nob lol

FREE PLAY at master cylinder push rod.

budgel, Jan 15, 3:31am
[quote= This argument is very strange as it's very straight forward isnt it! 1st gear little effort from engine and little clutch slip to get moving 4th gear alot more effort from engine and a huge amount of slip to get it moving! simple isnt it! or dose every one drive autos.[/quote]

Yep, it is straight forward, but it takes time for it to sink in apparently.

winpp, Jan 15, 5:26am
God I love reading this garbage. Its funny how so many people know so little, to give so much. Great entertainment on a sunny arvo. Please keep going. Great stuff.

for_an_angel, Jan 15, 8:39am
I think you flipped a few pages ahead there biker! Simple matter is it takes little effort to move a vehicle in 1st gear compared to the effort required in 4th gear. by your way of thinking (or how you are coming across) I should tell the Dutch couple to save there money as it's not a worn clutch plate in there rav4 that starts slipping in 3-4-5 gear but not in 1st and 2nd (under normal throttle angles for them)! Should I just tell them to try starting off in 4th gear !

movnon, Jan 15, 9:05am
hey NOB,reread my post #43'the hydraulics maintain the minimum clearance via the master cylinder setup'.This can be because there does not need to be clearance at the clutch pedal (no foot valve in master cylinder) in some vehicles.

skin1235, Jan 15, 9:06am
faark I didn't mean to start WW3

a clutch is a coupler, thats all, it is able to transfer torque without slipping up to it's rated hp

I was pointing out that technically when a clutch reaches it's max transfer rate it will slip, conversely if it is slipping it will slip in any gear if that same hp is applied to it, regardless of gears behind it

it's not a matter of 'in my car it doesn't', if you are applying the max transfer load to it it will slip, technically it is designed to, thats why they call then clutch slip plates

how many of you that are arguing are actually mechanics and how many are wannabe bush wreckers

a clutch is designed to slip, when that slip becomes excessive it is deemed to be worn out, it needs proper maintenance to get the maximum life out of it - and proper driving habits

and when you wish to argue about what it is and what it does make sure you actually know what you're talking about

clark20, Jan 15, 9:18am
The loading is the same in any gear as provided by the engine. The resistance is different on the output side and this can make a difference to how the clutch works, ie what gear it is in. So both arguments are right. I remember changing the clutch on my racecar and in practice it slipped on the back straight, but it "bedded" in like brake pads and was fine after that.

bbbottle, Jan 15, 10:39am
ok i have looked at all answers!and sum who like to bitter about this and that!but at the end of the day all i want is sum help to fix my problem ,not a debate about how a gear box works [sorry if this offends sum people]but i do agree with cum people about slave cylinder or linkages
to cause my problemi have no free play in one linkage as the other has free play this controls 1st and 2nd gear on my g boxand 3rd 4th etc is tight so ill start there before i drop the g box again

skin1235, Jan 15, 9:46pm
thats just downright confusing - since when does a vehicle have separate clutch linkages for different gears
you are using the wrong terminology for something here
I can assure you that Mazda manual do need free play at the pedal, and until you get that you stand the chance of slipping the clutch
and there is no logical reason why there will be play in some gears and not others, gears and clutch linkages are not connected in anyway apart from mountings and as it is a hydraulic system no amount of mount issues will effect it
there is still something wrong in your description of the problem solving you have done
going way back to the beginning again, check that you are able to move the clutch fork against the slave piston, and that the slave piston is able to be push back into the cylinder some - if no play available there you will need to adjust the rod length, if the piston cannot be pushed back release the bleeder and see if it can now be pushed back, if it can the problem is in the master cylinder, if it cannot as before adjust the rod length
if it is the master again check the rod at that end, disconnect the pedal and check the slave can be pushed back, if no then o'haul the master
the other side argument going on can enlighten you to how and what a clutch actually does, may be annoying to some but is correct re the functions and logic and obviously something that a few could spend a few minutes learning
short answer, as posted before by for- an- angel ( I think), it must have free play, what wasn't mentioned is it must have free ply at both ends, master and slave, above is a method to check them both
you are adamant that it has been fitted correctly, and you'd know by now if it wasn't ( it would be screetching and screaming every time you push the pedal) so there is no point in removing the box again. the issue is in the hyd system - slave and master

skin1235, Jan 15, 9:52pm
hang about, you've got slack in 'linkages' for 1 and 2 but no slack in the rest
and this is the issue!
what do you call clutch slip

does it drive at all in those other gears or does it just sit and rev - no drive at all!

if there is no drive whatsoever in the other gears
linkages may well be your problem if you've swapped gate for gear at the selector end

craigscar, Jan 16, 12:16am
the person that putthe clutch in must of had oil on there hands

ozz1, Jan 16, 12:45am
the problem is the clutch slave cylinder piston is not returning. i know mazda have different thickness flywheels.and pressure plates are different. now depends if same & correct parts fitted.! or hydraulic fault (eg slave cylinder or master cylinder internally leaking)or broken spring or.!if it works in 1st & 2nd. then not properly in 3/4th then im assuming the slave cylinder is pumping out to extreme and not returning.maybe try an external spring on clutch fork to returnslave cylinder.might cure the fault but not the reason. all said and done.first check free travel at pedal. but why would that change! gearbox linkages wont have any effect on the clutch operation if all is good to start with.(please no body bite my head off!)

mechnificent, Jan 16, 12:48am
Clutch slip is caused by the front shaft of the gearbox resisting being turned by the engine. There is less resistance to turning in the lower gears.

A clutch by the way Skin is far from being "just a coupler, that's all".
A dog is a coupler, a spline is a coupler.
A clutch is a device designed to be slipped and to have a gradual engagement.