New clutch so why does it slip!

Page 3 / 4
winpp, Jan 16, 1:14am
Keep going dorks. This is great stuff.

mechnificent, Jan 16, 1:16am
No, the load on the clutch is proportional to the resistance the front gearbox shaft has to turning.

If we jack the car up, the clutch won't slip.

Using a lower gear does have an effect on how much horsepower the clutch can handle before it slips.

mechnificent, Jan 16, 1:17am
Got an opinion!

ozz1, Jan 16, 1:35am
hope the clutch is ok!

jasongroves, Jan 16, 1:35am
WTF! LOL!

skin1235, Jan 16, 2:17am
I hope like hell you are NOT a mechanic

although with your complete flip flop in the last sentence you admit that what I was saying in the first post is completely right

if you are a mechanic

go back to basics,

before you came alone and decided that a clutch is not designed to slip they were always called slipping clutches, this differentiated them from dog clutches or spline collar couplings, even today, after the bastardisation of the language you think you know, clutch plates are still technically termed slipping clutches,
and for good reason
they are the 'fuse' in any powertrain, you should see the size and methods of operation in some of the seagoing clutches deployed on just about every ship on the oceans
from the tapered cone metal clutches of the earliest cars to the multiplate monsters behind 650hp tractors, they are power couplers plain and simple, they utilise their ability to slip under loads to achieve what they do, it is what they are designed to do,
biker got what I was saying back in my first post, since then you have displayed a complete lack of logic, intelligence and knowledge
will you ever stop

skin1235, Jan 16, 2:26am
and ignore my post at #62, not logical at all

until he comes back and tells us he can only find 1 st and 2nd and they are now on the gate not gear movement, and what he calls a slipping clutch is actually a non engagement of the gears
not that I suspect for a moment he'll even know what those two mean

it would be logical to assume that if on the gate he'd get 3rd and 4th but he does have 'one linkage is tight, the other is slack' so god knows whats going on under there

skin1235, Jan 16, 2:41am
his world would be full of technobabble then! cos he sure displays a huge lack of knowledge across a wide range of subjects!

advise I should possible take myself sometimes but better to shut up and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and prove it beyond all doubt

mechnificent, Jan 16, 3:06am
Ha,you two are a joke.

I'll leave you both to it becaue your opinions don't matter.

skin1235, Jan 16, 5:55am
you should change your favourite quote to
" be every worried, I'm a trained professional"
lol

naturally my poor opinion of your knowledge won't matter to you
but are you sure it won't matter to others though

winpp, Jan 16, 6:55am
And now the muck gets raked. Carry on. Tee hee.

mechnificent, Jan 16, 7:30am
No Skin, it won't matter to anybody that counts.

skin1235, Jan 16, 7:34am
yep it doesn't matter to anybody that counts

and you reply, lol

mechnificent, Jan 16, 7:38am
You asked, I replied.

skin1235, Jan 16, 7:40am
nah

it mattered

to you

lol

mechnificent, Jan 16, 7:58am
Oh, and now you know my mind better than I do myself.

You and Biker are a good pair.

bigfatmat1, Jan 16, 8:04am
what the face

skin1235, Jan 16, 8:13am
hee hee, and still you come back

defending the un-defendable

can you not see a laugh
nothing sinister, nothing nasty intended
cheers magnificent

I've read a few of your posts over the times and mostly they have been excellent
we are human and allowed to make a minor error occassionally

candy1213, Jan 16, 10:44am
did you check the heights of the presure plates!
as if it is taller then this would bring the clutch fork hardon to thebellhousing and may not be letting the clamp on the clutch plate,
or a bent clutch fork!
or the clutch slave pipe ,been crushed and fluid cant come back!

mechnificent, Jan 16, 9:08pm
I don't know about Budgel, but SR2, Angel and I have all had years of experiance. We all agree that that statement is wrong. It's wrong in practice and it's wrong in theory.

It doesn't surprise me that you both(Biker and yourself), reckon you know best. That's just how you both are.

Skin, I see a lot of posts in here of yours too, and more often than not you jump too rediculous conclusions. I see for instance, they in the case of the V8 motor that developed a problem on the dyno that your guess was that it was "one of those left-over nuts or bolts" that had got down the inlet manifold and jammed a valve. An inlet valve because a nut couldn't get to an exhaust valve.

Really! That isn't the sort of though that would occur to any competent mechanic. only a duffus that does that sort of thing would come to a conclusion like that. Seriously Skin, you need to get some training , some experiance and learn the theory before you start giving out advice in here or anywhere else.

The fact that Biker agrees with you, should be cause for concern to you Skin, not reassurance.

winpp, Jan 16, 9:13pm
Fight ya buggers, fight.

mechnificent, Jan 16, 9:19pm
What's the matter Winpp, you feeling left out!

bbbottle, Jan 16, 9:33pm
ok ive been riding my motorbike to forget all bout my little problem[lol] but it seems to have caused a stirr thats for sure , can i spell . no! can i use a computer properly . no . its not easy to type what you really need to say but i have tried . so i will attack the problem with the clutch today and see what happens . if i have to get the grinder out and shorten the main pin on slave cyld then yeehaa who doesn't luv cutting up stuff good or bad! worst case i just keep riding my motorbike in this heat i have no problem with this at all .cheers to all

skin1235, Jan 16, 10:00pm
at the time we did not know the engine had been rebuilt by any 'competent' mechanic, and as a mechanic I'd be pushed to number the times backyard V8 jobs came to the workshop to have washers and nuts removed from beside the valve stems
if you know anything about them you have to admit that the likelihood of a nut or washer remaining in an exhaust port is pure fantasy - but according to you the fact I said inlet port is beyond credibility

apart from all that the original comment was a just a flip off to see who would bite
you did
and kept biting

also as you are including others in your wee club ask them a simple question
if a clutch slips at 90kw does it matter which gear it is in when that 90 kw is applied

and the only answer is 'no, if 90 kw is applied and that is all that that clutch can handle it will slip at 90kw

and that is what I was saying, you were the one who got all bitter about driving practices and gearbox states,
you couldn't even counter with the common knowledge that to measure 90kw you have to have at least 90kw of resistance, and if a lower gear is selected it is very hard to achieve 90kw of resistance
so who is it that needs retraining, the one who knows what he's talking about or the one who doesn't even realise that hp/kw transfer is a reactive measure - and has to have something to react against
your observation that they show slip more in the higher gears was even noted in the original post, and explained
nah you set out to bitchslap and in your haste failed to even note what was being said

bbbottle, Jan 16, 10:09pm
ok after a quick tinkle i have found that if i release one bolt that holds slave cyld to gear box if frees up tension on the fork and clutch is near the floor in all gears therefore to much pressure was on it. so chopping it down is theway to go but. iam just going to buy a new one with less length in the shaft as they are only like $30 and keep my old one, so as time goes on i may need to put the old one back incheerz