1992 BMW 318i Opinions!

Page 2 / 3
phillip.weston, Jan 17, 7:07am
I wouldn't take the Dog and Lemon guide as gospel, it's far from what I could call a very good comprehensive guide on cars.

tim8069, Jan 17, 7:22am
MMMMmmmm i drove a nice beemer today, 530d 5 cylinder diesel turbo. was reading 6.9 on the economy meter. and sh!tcould she move, Had to replace the rotors at 85,000km. They had just had it in at BMW for a new computer because the I-Drive screen stopped working, also had the abs/active steering actuator replaced, and a wheel sensor. Now the bluetooth has gone in it. But still, the drive it offered offset that if you have the pockets. Was a 2005

tim8069, Jan 17, 7:32am
Yeah real nice car! Sorry didn't pay that much attention, though I could have noticed when looking for where to fill the brake fluid! hahaha

hi_lemon, Jan 17, 8:51am
Obviously some people are annoyed because the book praises Toyotas and not their gas guzzling unreliable Falcons / Commodores. Strangely enough the book is mostly on the dollar; falcons are gas guzzlers, corollas last forever.

I came to this thread to help the guy with his friend's bmw purchase, but now I see its more of an arguement from keyboard warriors with nothing better to do. Disappointing.

tim8069, Jan 17, 9:07am
I've been there, all I saw were land cruisers and hiluxes EVERYWHERE and the occaisional montery with the bonnet up. :P Though move closer to civilisation and you do see a lot of hard worked falcs & commys, roo bars & red dust

chris_051, Jan 17, 9:46am
My last Falcon was ex wgtn lease cab 560k unopened engine and could consistently return 7.56l/100km or 820km to 58 litres highway driving. Look at all the high mileage Falcons and Commodores for sale, ask your self what two models have been favourite choice for cabs in NZ and Oz for the last few decades. a hint, it's not your over rated Toyota, pull ur head out of your arse before talking shyte.

bigjerry, Jan 17, 9:51am
since opinions were asked for in the original thread. i think they are hairdressers cars. no class, no style, ugly as sin and anyone who owns one should also go and buy a small white dog, a coldplay cd,and go out for brunch with the girls every other saturday.

foxdonut, Jan 17, 10:53am
I think thats the best so far.

richardmayes, Jan 17, 10:42pm
Of course, not everyone ***wants*** a Calais V8.

But this talk of "underpowered under speced over priced purchases" does lead us nicely back to the topic of small-engined BMWs :-P

tshop, Jan 17, 10:49pm
I saw one at the scrap metal yard the other day, a 318i slab side, it was still O.k, but someone must have needed money fast, it was actually driven in, no bull I can tell you the place where if your keen.

silkycat, Jan 17, 11:03pm
How about this really novel idea - if you like the car and it checks out OK, buy it! Nobody else can tell you whether it'll drive the way you want it to, go as fast as you want it to, and be as economical as you want it to, because nobody else knows what YOU want. It's idiotic to compare it to a whole lot of other makes and models because obviously they're not what you want. Good luck.

hi_lemon, Jan 17, 11:40pm
Oh please, stop trying to tell us about economy. My wife's '02 corolla does 4.3l/100km motorway and 7.8l/100km in auckland city. It would do much better if she drove like a nana too.

Keep your emotions in check sir.

hi_lemon, Jan 17, 11:48pm
Any well maintained high usage vehicle will do milage like that easily. Maybe you are unfamiliar with 'fleet discounts'. In fact the NZ Police use commodores because Holden have a fleet contract with the police in which their range is heavily discounted. Remember when Ford used to have the contract until around 1998!

Oh and before people embarress themselves anymore with their complete ignorance, commodores are Opels. That's right, designed by the germans and adapted by Australians (2006 is the first Aus designed model).

vtecintegra, Jan 17, 11:53pm
The VE is all Holden - there wasn't an Opel to base it on by that time.

Even the VT changed a huge amount of the car it was based on, all the mechanical bits are different

richardmayes, Jan 17, 11:57pm
Spoken like a true brand fanboy.
Perhaps instead of throwing mud, you could explain [with or without reference to the ten other BMWs you've driven already this morning] what a 318i with 113hp under the bonnet has got going for it that any number of other similar cars don't!

tshop, Jan 18, 1:42am
You obviously havent heard of the Toyota Lexcen.http://en.wikipedia.-
org/wiki/Holden_Commodore

tshop, Jan 18, 1:44am
and Mr Weston please the link

tshop, Jan 18, 2:04am
All hardcore Ford fans look away now!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_XF_Falcon

hi_lemon, Jan 18, 2:15am
And maybe you already forgot that all Holdens apart from what I mentioned are Opels, Isuzus, GMs/Pontiacs or Vauxalls!

And Toyota did a similar stunt with the Cavalier remember! They only rebadge a couple of vehicles vs Holden's entire range

vtecintegra, Jan 18, 2:19am
The Commodore was never a simple re badge like the Cavalier (or Astra or Vectra)

hi_lemon, Jan 18, 2:31am
I agree, you are entirely correct. It was platform sharing, in which it was designed in Germany, and shares engineering and components. It was not however designed in Australia for Australian conditions. More like an adaptation (but to a fair extent I might add).

But this was besides the point, that even when a v6/v8 commy or falcom is driven economically it is still not as good on fuel as a corolla. They are heavy cars with big engines, and you cannot deny physics.

The 318i on the other hand is a heavy car with a small engine.performance of a corolla with economy of a v6

phillip.weston, Jan 18, 3:06am
The VT is on a stretched and widened Opel Omega B platform and retains the front and rear suspension geometry, however there were indeed many many changes the Commodore had over the Omega, probably to the point very little Omega parts fit anymore. The interior and exterior styling is all Holden with some styling cues taken from the Omega B and Cadillac Catera. Obviously engine and drivetrain package is GM Holden derived too.

richardmayes, Jan 18, 3:50am
Not wanting to start a flame war or anything, but you could try debating on-topic, e.g:

"The poster hi_lemon is incorrect in what he says, because of [reasons]."

The kerb weight is published in the public domain, and it's hardly "a heavy car" as he is saying, (it's 1145kg apparently.) http://www.carfolio.com/specifications/models/car/!car=56364

tshop, Jan 18, 4:31am
Not really the subject,,, the Lexcen is the true clone here & it aint no vauxhall,,,

tshop, Jan 18, 4:44am
Is the 1120 how much $ you ended up with!