Cheap WOF's in lower hutt, upper hutt region

goholdens, Nov 26, 1:51am
x1
anyone know where!

tuttyclan, Nov 26, 1:58am
Cheap wof's are not always the answer because quite often the cheaper garages just charge less for a wof to get you in the door then find something that probably would have passed elsewhere and charge for the repair.

elect70, Nov 26, 3:34am
Drive around them all & ask their price .Waste of time & fuel .If cant afford $45then cant afford to run a car .

tigra, Nov 26, 7:56am
Unfortunately many are around $55 in the Hutt Valley

andy_babe, Nov 26, 8:12am
get a pak n sav voucher that has $5 of a wof then take it to a vtnz its only $45 then an they are good.

goholdens, Nov 26, 11:09am
How stupid!

I find those kind of comments funny, if you were going to go buy a $2000 tv tomorrow, would you just go to the first shop and buy it at normal retail, or would you try bargin it down or look around other shops! even if you had $2000 cash in your wallet. people are always after a bargin, even when they can afford the top dollar. I apologize for asking on here, hoping that someone helpful would come in and mention a company, therefore throwing business and possible future business towards them if you were to find them really good.

goholdens, Nov 26, 11:14am
Thanks.
As long as you clearly state that you want a wof inspection, they cannot legally charge you for any repairs that they might have done as they didn't have the authority from you to carry out the repairs

horsepower7, Nov 26, 11:15am
i reckon u should just take it to vtnz coz they dont look for work on the car, if you go to a mechanic, they will probly fail you on something dumb just to make money.

lugee, Nov 26, 12:54pm
x1
I find the exact opposite. I took my car twice to VTNZ and failed both times for a fog light being pointed like 1 degree to high, and then a tiny spot weld inside my gaurd that looked a bit sad. Started taking to a mechanic and not only is it cheaper but it has passed every time.

moosie_21, Nov 26, 10:07pm
If you don't have a trusted mechanic, visit VTNZ. If you have one, go see them, simple!

elect70, Nov 26, 10:15pm
Ha ha reminds me ofgiuygothis missus to cut all the coupons for specials at supermarkets, then go& get them , wastedmore petrolthan saved on food bill .Christ man youonly talking of couple $ , you want to srcew them down for that !

friendly_prawn, Nov 26, 10:26pm
yes, that may be true. Buttuttyclan is correct so be careful. here's my story. went to get a wof, vtnz have upped their price to just under $50 I think it was. stuff that I thought, so off to get wof done where I saw a sign advertising $25. had some Chinese writing on the sign.I have heard of all the dodgy Chinese wof places but was thinking just like you.No way they can force me to pay for anything, also I hate the racist connotations about the dodgy Chinese wof shops. thought I would at least give them a chance before judging. Well they found two issues, the problem was, they were issues where you would normally just be issued with a warning. ie: brake linings getting low and one tyre tread getting low. Instead they failed me on them, then tried to sell me brakes and a tyre. The guy said I'll prove it to you. He took a brake shoe off, then before showing it to me, he took off around the other side of the car and disappeared out side. he was off to pick up new shoes.The idea of taking them off was to show me how low they were. I had to chase him, stop him from driving off, then make him put my brake shoes back on. From there I drove straight down to vtnz where they never questioned a thing. They passed everything. never even said there was an issue with brakes or tyre.So that's where they get you, they fail you on things that they shouldn't then try to sell you stuff.
I wont be going to any more cheap wof places unless they come highly recommended . Do yourself a favour. Go somewhere that you know is reputable even if it costs more. It will probably save you hassles and money in the long run.

poppajn, Nov 27, 12:25am
I would never go to VTNZ for this reason.If I need a repair to comply, I,ve still got to go to a garage, so no point in haveing 2 seperate charges. Might as well go to a one stop shop, all done in one go.

fordkiwi27, Nov 27, 4:01am
all fleet services wingate. not cheap. but fair and excellentwork.

goholdens, Nov 27, 4:36am
well i've heard of some charging up to $60 and i've heard of some charging as little as $20,(but dont know about wgtn as i'm only recent down here).is your idea of a couple of $ being $40!

ralphdog1, Nov 27, 4:40am
Why ask for advice then argue!
Posts 2 & 12 have good advice which is worth considering.

fordkiwi27, Nov 27, 4:56am
i mean a fair price. worded it wrong!

horsepower7, Nov 27, 7:40am
i use to take my car to a mechanic and he keep failing it on dumb things an i got sick of it so took it to vtnz an it past everytime. i guess its just luck of the draw lol im sooo glad i know heaps of mechanics now!

tigra, Nov 27, 10:34am
My Alfa had passed 3 WoF untilI took it to VTNZ, They failed me on a lighting issue and I had to get a letter from the agents to say it was how they made them at the factory. I have always found VTNZvery nit picking ( and sometimes wrong) now take our 4 carsto Cambridge Auto in Naenae and they are very fair and thorough and warn me about impending issues. Cant ask for more than that except that I have to book it in 'cos they are always so busy.thats says something I guess.

maoriboi, Oct 8, 10:26pm
so, any OTHER recommendations then? lol :) .. i'm REALLY needing this done, like, right now :/ .. someone good and fair and under $45? lol