Dealers buying up cheap cars and relisting

Page 1 / 3
richynuts, Jan 8, 10:04pm
I called about this car 438123606 on saturday after only being listed for 1 hour, a classified ad $1500 ono, anyhow seller says someone is looking at it right now and seems really keen, I told him I will give you $1700 unseen,do not sellto him, I almost had him convinced but he declined which is fair enough, though he took my number and called me back to say sold. However if he saw that his car was relisted 2 hours later using one of his own photos he would be pissed, The car has now hit reserve of $2350, Buy now was $2700. This trader is obviously a car dealer looking at his other listings, possibly sitting on computer bringing up lastest listing non stop.

edangus, Jan 8, 10:15pm
He probably would be pissed agreed.but thats just the way the cookie crumbles.
You are right. he does look like a backyard dealer.although apparently some are being sold on behalf

vtecintegra, Jan 8, 10:20pm
As a seller I don't care what happens to the item after its sold - I have gotten my asking price and that's that.

phalanax, Jan 8, 10:23pm
Seems to be fair game in my opinion.

wrong2, Jan 8, 10:23pm
AKA :

"i hope i can sell it for more than i paid for it / more than its worth !"

tonyrockyhorror, Jan 8, 10:25pm
Nothing wrong with that, although if they're doing it with the intention of turning a profit they should be an RMVT.

richynuts, Jan 8, 10:27pm
Defintitely intention look at his feedback, aisuzu bighorn bought for $2k now up around the $4k at auction

tonyrockyhorror, Jan 8, 10:34pm
Then dob him in and keep following it up. RMVTs certainly should - it's their industry reputation that's on the line.

tonyrockyhorror, Jan 8, 10:36pm

snj11, Jan 8, 10:38pm
Ive dealt with this guy before, at the time he was a registered trader so i assume still is, good on him I say, as long as he is doing it legit.

Also bear in mind these guys do actually work for their money, spending the time finding the cars, cleaning them, paying for cleaning products etc, just making coin like the rest of us

doggitt, Jan 8, 10:40pm
The seller got a price he was happy with. The buyer who is reselling is taking a gamble.

doggitt, Jan 8, 10:41pm
This seller is not registered for sure!

richynuts, Jan 8, 10:45pm
$900+ for 3-4 hours work sounds pretty good and thats just 1 car.

doggitt, Jan 8, 10:46pm
Plus outlaying $1700 to start with.

kazbanz, Jan 8, 10:47pm
I don't see the issue.The seller had a person actually there with cash to buy a car. VS the person on the end of the phone.
Heck I know what I'd be taking more seriously.
What the buyer does after that is up to them--as long as C of O HAS been done.
That said -There is DEFINITELYsome dishonestly here
1) The person IS a car trader given the number of vehicles for sale. So needs to display somewhere a CIN card.
2) suggesting he doesn't own the vehicle is clearly fraud.
3)A car trader needs to be a registered trader.

richynuts, Jan 8, 10:49pm
no read 1st post, the car was listed at $1500 ono , I offered seller $1700 to sell to me unseen.

doggitt, Jan 8, 10:52pm
Well the person had to find a suitable car on trademe, go out and pay money for the car and gambling that they would make a profit on it and then deal with potential buyers etc.

Probably not as easy money as you'd think.

richynuts, Jan 8, 10:54pm
For sure I agreewith someone on end of the phone vs buyer standing in front of you. I even told seller to wait for me as I was only 10 min away, I also said put the buyer on the phone so he can hear my offer of $1700 if he wants, Do you think the car dealer has even changed the papers!

tonyrockyhorror, Jan 8, 10:54pm
I don't know. I really can't be bothered finding out. The OP can if it means that much to him.

doggitt, Jan 8, 10:55pm
It does sound like they are probably not changing ownership etc and avoiding legal obligations. But impossible to tell without seeing their listings.

flat_white_ltd, Jan 8, 11:01pm
yup. ( "selling on behalf " 2 hrs after buying it ! )

richynuts, Jan 8, 11:01pm
Yes it is definitely hard work to find a cheap tidy car got to be very very quick no messing about, I do notice a trend with alot of cheap cars. the seller has owned for some time like 4+ years and selling much cheaper than what they paid (as you would normally expect) however early 90's cars have stayed the same price or actuallygone up in value.

edangus, Jan 8, 11:11pm
Yeah.that appears to be the dodgy part.Don't care about the rest.

tonyrockyhorror, Jan 8, 11:17pm
Registered owner doesn't mean anything for that purpose - receipt for purchase does. But they're sidestepping their obligations simply by auctioning.

curlcrown, Jan 8, 11:19pm
I would never accept and offer over the phone for $200 more than some one with cash in front of me. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. Its easy to say that over the phone but money talks and BS walks. And I wouldn't care if someone sold a car for more than I sold it to them for. I want what I want when I want it.