Looking at buying Falcon

howie69, Nov 26, 6:20pm
Thinking about buying an AU Falcon sedan or even a latter high K's model as they look to have bottomed in price. It will be a daily driver so don't want a flash one. Okay I know economy will not be great but will be better than my old school V8's. Looking to spend up to 3k for one. What are the pitfalls to look out for when buying one of these. I have been told they rust in the back of the sill!

brokebloke1, Nov 26, 7:17pm
we have a XR6 AU3 and love it only problem ive had is when I lift the boot lid up rain water drips into the boot , apart from that great car and cheaper to run than my old car ( mit galant 1800 gdi )

kenw1, Nov 26, 9:21pm
We got a BA wagon after a Mazda Capella 4wd wagon, a bit more juicy, but a lot better drive and soooo much space.Economy a little bit thirstier but then its a lot more car.

mellisa2000, Nov 26, 9:30pm
AU, on a cruise, expect batter than 10.0L/100km. Rust up under the rear boot lid hinge areas, by seatbelt mounts viewed from in the boot. Rust in front sill inner areas. Pretty much bullet proof engine wise. have a full trans flush after buying.

200sx, Nov 26, 10:41pm
For $3k you are better off looking at an EF or EL in better condition and with lower mileage. In my view a nicely sorted EF/EL V8 will be a nicer machine than an AU you could get for the same price. But you never know, you might find a bargain. Have fun!

1fordluva, Nov 26, 11:38pm
One other thing to look for is the head gasket should be a steel one.
If it has had heating problems and been replaced,alot of workshops use the composite gasket instead of the genuine steel factory fitted one.
the only reason I say this is due to alloy head, cast iron block.
Composite gaskets dont last a great deal of time,compared to the steel original.
you can easily see the gasket at the back of the head on drivers side.

chris_051, Nov 27, 3:50am
You are taling about E series! As they fixed that problem with the AU. the only head gasket leaks I've seen with the AUs are small amount of oil down the side of the block.
I've had a few AUs all getting 7.5-8l/100km on the highway so are pretty economical. They will drink if you flog them or tow heavy loads, like any large petrol. Check for rust around the door and boot rubbers, behind the boot trim around tail lights, under parcel shelf, in the sills, on the seams under the passenger and drivers foot well, have seen a few ex taxis rust in there but privately owned cars seem to be ok. If it has the trans cooler with the gearbox bypass it and fit an external one as the factory ones are shit.
AU coons are the best modern Falcon as far as durability go, just ask any Aussie cab driver whos put over a million kays on one, you can pick up a decent low series one for 3 grand piece of piss, try and get a Fairmont as they are a bit nicer inside,

gunhand, Nov 27, 4:00am
I finally got a 01 XR6 VCT cobra thingy, very very tidy car.I can see why they rust up in the seatbelt area in the boot. Theres no bloody paint up there.

1fordluva, Nov 27, 7:41am
no was talking about the au,e series were a problem,but the e series were a problem.
over here in oz the km,s are massive.
Have seen some good ones.

cocabowla, Nov 27, 8:23am
did you get the colour you wanted though !

gunhand, Nov 27, 8:27am
Well, not really LOL, settled on a red one. Main reason being its so tidy and even the nose cone matches the gaurds and bonnet colour wise.Very tight nice driving car compared with some ive drivin of late.

alan1111, Apr 12, 11:09am
Yep they rust allright in the sills not visible unless you are looking under the vehicle.