Falcon/Fairmont - Opinions

outbidyou2, Jan 23, 7:56am
While I'm not a Ford fan necessarily these are priced fairly well for the kms they do etc. Question is, which is better, Falcon or Fairmont. Wiki says the Fairmont was the 'extras' version but the styling doesnt look as sharp as the Falcon. Matter of opinion perhaps.
Anyways I am buying one in the next week or so, just thought I would get opinions as I hav'nt had exp with these before.

441289693 -Ignore the kms on this one, picture is for example. Did they loose the dopey looking wood passengers side dash after 2000 !

Tia

jason18, Jan 23, 8:12am
I have a fairmont 99 Wagon. Looked at falcons before and I think I went with the fairmont as I liked the front grill more haha. Also It was well priced. Mine has the wood grill but I dont think it looks bad at all.

gunhand, Jan 23, 8:12am
Go the Fairmont every time, way more features than bog standard coon.
They are comfortable and easy to drive. The LCD displays do give problems but dont stop any of the function. And they are quite cheap to run if you keep the boot off it. Lota car for th money. Or look for a heritage special it has a few more features as well than stock. And as for the look, well you cant see the outside when your driving and the chrome bits make it look a bit better.

outbidyou2, Jan 23, 8:12am
That was insightful, thanks

outbidyou2, Jan 23, 8:19am
Thanks guys, good to see another perspective. I didnt realise the Fairmont was better specd than the Falcon, I shall keep on the hunt then, thanks

chris_051, Jan 23, 8:53am
Except some EF/Ls still have head gasket issues, their interior is of shoddy hard plastics which should have stayed in the 1980s and they are essentially a product of the EA. The Au is the best recent Falcon, no major bad points, having no external trans cooler and some cars suffer rust (which is the same for E series and BA) is the worst of it. Bacuase of their looks they have suffered resale which is a good thing for used buyers.
Go for a Fairmont Ghia, you'll get the double wishbone IRS and LSD which is a good set up, (same as under the Jag S type and Lincon LS). Just make sure the heater works as the blend door motors inside the dash pack up and is a dash out job to replace.
I picked up an ex taxi Fairlane Ghia for 2 grand, 565,000km but you wouldn;t think its done half that. Very nice cruisers and handle well for a big car, similar to a 5 series BMW. The swb Fairmont Ghias will be marginally better.

jason18, Jan 23, 9:19am
mine has a bit of rust near windows and the boot struts.