2007 CRV sport or Outlander VRX!

rcooke, Jan 21, 10:55am
Looking to get a new 4x4.Want to spend around $30k.We've narrowed the field to these two. Test drove the CRV and a 3 litre 2009 VR in the week (will test a 2006 2.4l VRX Sunday).The wife's not sure about the steering in the 3l Outlander (too heavy). I found it ok.The CRV seemed to have a better quality interior, but the 3L was definitely more powerful.Would appreciate any comments that may help the decision! Cheers.

smellykelly, Jan 21, 11:12am
we are looking around the same - have you looked at captivas or kia Sorrentos!

rcooke, Jan 21, 11:21am
Not really. We already have an old (1996) CRV and even older Accord so we're familiar (and generally happy) with Hondas.Want something mainstream I suppose.

pollymay, Jan 21, 12:20pm
Are you the people across the road from me that never talk to the other neighbours, drive 4x4s in town for no reason and display stupid driving habits like 439 point turns and driving like a 93 year old in a volvo!

If you have a legitimate reason for a higher sitting 4x4 car it's fine but the number of people buying them just so they can feel big while they sit in traffic burning fuel numbs my mind.

yogibearz, Jan 21, 4:58pm
driven many outlanders and love them, no question what i would have.

200sx, Jan 22, 5:34am
Haven't driven the CRV, but have driven both Outlander variants. I'd opt for the V6. More power and torque than the 2.4, which you will notice and appreciate if you drive them both back to back. You will use a bit more fuel of course, but I think it's a worthwhile trade off. Also, the 2.4 comes with the CVT transmission. Reliable, but very boomy in operation - while its designed of course to always be in an optimimal position to maximise torque and fuel consumption, its drony and annoying. The V6 has a nice conventional 6-speed auto with manual shifting. Re: the steering - it shouldn't feel that heavy. I'd drive a second example to ensure it's not an issue unique to that one example.

carkitter, Jan 22, 10:29am
Actually it's not as the OP can attest as they already have a 96 CRV. It's a part time system which allows the CRV to drive like a conventional FWD car most of the time, which is what the target market are used to driving. It was always intended to be a soft-roader and doesn't try to pass itself off as a rally car or farm hack. Maybe it's honesty, focus and efficiency is the reason for it's massive sales success worldwide!

chutneyman, Jan 20, 1:58am
I thrashed an outlander from Taupo to Gisbourne a few years ago. When I got to the gas station, a guy in a subby shook my hand and thanked me for the drive.It was fun !
I stayed with him the entire way. on corners, up hills, overtaking everything that got in our way. Did 160ks lots of times.

Thank god it wasnt mine !