Trying to help out a friend. Honda City 1984

Page 1 / 2
lookgoodfeelgr8, Nov 27, 8:06am
A friend is unable to drive any longer and is wondering what her 1984 one owner honda citywould be worth. Its in mint condition in and out, well serviced and has near new tyres and battery.We are going to list in on here but need an idea of start price or what its worth.

lookgoodfeelgr8, Nov 27, 8:07am
It also has a brand new wof and nearly a full tank of gas.lol. it has done only 94 thousand kms.

thetron, Nov 27, 8:07am
I saw a mint condition one sell for $2000 not too long ago. That would be well on the upper end though. Realistically $1000 if it's very tidy

lookgoodfeelgr8, Nov 27, 8:10am
This is mint the inside is just like new, the body is perfect.

jmma, Nov 27, 8:20am
You will have to keep it for another 20 years to get more than #3 is suggesting.

andrea_w, Nov 27, 8:28am
Yeah. but it's still a 1984 Honda City. Price doesn't skyrocket based on just the condition.
Maybe talk to MOTAT

lookgoodfeelgr8, Nov 27, 8:32am
Okay I have looked at a few on here. and they are asking more than 1000.00 dollars.

gman35, Nov 27, 8:46am
Sounds like the sort of car a well-heeled but not particularly motor-savvy father would probably hand 4k over for tomorrow for his newly-licenced daughter.

alan1111, Nov 27, 8:47am
27 years old less than 100k on the clock less than 4000ks a year not being rude or anything Since i mechanic it could be immaculate etc but i i would not buy it. It will have hardened oil seals etc. I would rather buy a car at that age with 300k on the clock.
As for value i would say $1000 to $ 1200
Sorry if i seem harsh but its the truth.

snj11, Nov 27, 8:51am
I sold a 86 hondamatic city on here last year $1 reserve, was tidy but in no way mint, around 200kms and it sold for $1300, this has to be at least $2k

bopbargains, Nov 27, 9:22am
that one is a 1990 model. yours is a 1984, which iscompletely different.put it on for a $1 reserve.gotto worth around 1g

lookgoodfeelgr8, Nov 27, 9:28am
Each to their own, this car has been mechanically check and nothing is wrong with it. It has history. Not all cars suffer as you say, many people have older cars. The mechanic has said its fine, its never failed a wof.

lookgoodfeelgr8, Nov 27, 9:30am
There are a few on there, 1988 and 1986 i thought that would have linked the whole page. This is not my car, unfortunately i drive a thristy 3.8 commodore or a work van.lol

lookgoodfeelgr8, Nov 27, 9:33am
Want my commodore that handles like a bucket of.@@@@ worst car i have ever owned.Oh guess not as that has only done 150 thousand kms and is 1999.

thunderbolt, Nov 27, 9:38am
Sell the commy and buy the Honda then. Cheap running and you can pay your Neighbour the high price you seem to think it is worth.
P.s. I think it's worth around 2k

jmma, Nov 27, 9:57am
You come on here and ask a question, then you don't like the answers.
You just started doing some research by looking at some other listings, May I suggest that you look at some expired listings also and then you may come to your own conclusion, without getting snotty at people that are answering your original question )o:

tigertim20, Nov 27, 10:34am
showing us how much things are listed for means nothing, look at expired listings to see how much they actually SELL for.
Id say $1500 if its as tidy as you say.

The best way to find out is to list it at $1 reserve, the market will decide its value, but as someone said, its a 1984 Honda city. Its not particularly desirable, its certainly not special, and I get the feeling you were hoping it was worth 4k or so.
It isnt.

tigra, Nov 27, 10:38am
Nobody can tell me a 27 year old car , even one that has only done 94000 km is "Mint inside and the body is perfect"It cant be if its that old.

icemans1, Nov 27, 11:46am
once a honda city, always a honda city.

alan1111, Nov 27, 5:57pm
Ok cool so your mechanic has removed the gearbox to check rear main seal is not hard then i doubt it.What about brake hoses or the condition of heater hoses under the dash all go hard with lack of use. Your mechanic is all shit and just telling you what you want to hear i feel.
I bet the brake fluid has never been changed or the gearbox oil. Sure the car might look mint but trust me a car with that little use will have problems i been doing this since that car was sold new so i got experiance.

jsbike, Nov 27, 6:58pm
what about the heat from a well used vehicle, making all the hoses go hard as well!

kcf, Nov 27, 7:52pm
$1500

At the end of the day, the old shape City unless it is turbo simply isn't a very highly sought after vehicle, so you don't have much of a market.

If you had an AE86 Corolla in the same condition, year, and km's there's a huge market for that, so you'd be getting more like $10k.But there really are few people who are collecting the first shape City.

jasongroves, Nov 28, 12:19am
I agree with $1500.
Sell as an auction with $1500 start/reserve, $2000 buy now.

richardmayes, Nov 28, 12:22am
Advertise it on the nzhondas.com forum too - if it's as good as you've billed it, one or another of the fan-boys will fall in love with it and have to have it.

lookgoodfeelgr8, Nov 28, 12:55am
Its not mine so i am not hoping for nothing, just hoping that friend gets a fair price for it.I will look around expired as well.