Honda crv 1998 knocking/rattling noise

blackbnz, Jan 26, 10:34am
Can anyone help with a rattling/knocking noise in my honda crv!It does it over bumpy roads and annoys the hell out of me!Had a mechanic do the linkage on the sway bar and the noise is still there.Took it to another mechanic and he could not find the problem.Said it might be a commonthing with the honda crvs.He would have to investigate more to find out the problem.Sounds like it comes from the front right and left sides.Sounds like a loose exhaust but isnt.Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!Someone else suggested shock absorbers but at over $250 each I am not sure I want to take that leap! :)

ralphdog1, Jan 26, 10:41am
Hasn't got a towbar with a removable bar has it!

blackbnz, Jan 26, 11:10am
um yes has a towbar.how do I check if it is removable!Sorry I am female.lol :)

msigg, Jan 26, 6:20pm
Yes I know what you mean, our one has the same noise going over bumps at about 50km. I think it sounds like one of the bushes on the left side but as yet I have not worried about it and it has effected anything, so maybe not a bush, it dosn't worry me. try contact Honda mechanic they may know, as said could be on all of them.

mugenb20b, Jan 26, 6:25pm
Sway bar support bushes most likely, not the links. There's another member on this message board, Scotty20001, he seems to be the CRV guru around here. Good luck.

johnf_456, Jan 26, 6:31pm
mugen20b, scotty20001 is banned now see his other thread.

richard198, Jan 26, 7:07pm
Comfortable Recreational Vehicle, eh!
Do the sway bar bushes first.
If the noise is still there, do the shock absorbers. (worked for me, as well as making a huge difference to handling)

Edit: Who are these "mechanics" who say they can't find the problem!
A lot of them seem incapable of diagnosing worn wheel bearings as well!

richardmayes, Jan 26, 7:12pm
If it's removable, the arrangement of it will be something like this:

http://www.coxmotorparts.co.uk/images/large/08L92_SWW_600A_LRG.jpg

The removable part is the tow ball itself, and the short arm the ball is attached to. The arms are not always curved like this one.

The end of the removable part goes into some kind of socket which is permanently attached to the car. The socket will have some kind of bolt, knob or quick-release lever on it that holds the removable part in there, you need to check that that is done up tight.

blackbnz, Jan 26, 10:24pm
thanks everyone.No it is not a removable tow bar.thanks for the pics etc!

sandy712, Jan 27, 1:33am
check top balljoints had the same problem with a crv in our workshop

sp_toolsfan, Jan 27, 2:12am
while u ask ur mechanic to check ur ball joints ask him to check the top hats on the shock absorbers, and check the mounts for the steering rack too.

blackbnz, Jan 27, 3:47am
wow thanks everyone.i will write it all down and tell the mechanic how to do his job!he will think i am an expert!lol

biddy6, Jan 30, 5:36pm
Engine mounts could be shot.

mugenb20b, Jan 30, 5:37pm
Bump what! Been to the garage yet!

blackbnz, Jan 31, 8:08am
just bumping for as many ideas as possible!Am dropping car to mechanic next week.Apparently there is a honda crv expert on here who has not seen my thread yet.don;t know why I cannot bump as much as I want to!