Sold a car but buyer wants to make a deposit

Page 1 / 2
cruising1, Nov 27, 5:57pm
Sold a car and buy wants to make a deposit and pay balance when he picks up the car.is this customary!I feel like that gives him the option to negotiate when he comes to get the car.

alan1111, Nov 27, 5:59pm
Take the deposit and tell him if he pulls out you keep the deposit.

saffa2, Nov 27, 5:59pm
Sounds normal, price is fixed.You keep deposit if he trys to negotiate.

jsbike, Nov 27, 6:55pm
id feel the opposite, a deposit to me means the price is set and the rest will be paid on pick up, without negotiation

paniaa, Nov 27, 8:15pm
I wouldn't deposit a large amount of money for a car (or any other item) I've bought until I have the vehicle and keys in my sight. Deposit small amount first. keys and car in sight. car checked.here's the rest of the cash, thanks.

shuddupowh, Nov 27, 8:27pm
Why buy the car and not check it before bidding/buying! Its the buyers problem if they havent checked it first.

jason18, Nov 27, 8:28pm
You win an auction you dont get car checked afterward.

fiatracer, Nov 27, 9:00pm
take a decent deposit - 20% or more, non-refundable, and write a receipt and sign it stating this fact. Give a finite time to pay balance, and if that's not met you keep the deposit and the car, and relist it.

friendly_prawn, Nov 27, 9:23pm
you should be greatful he's being so honest in putting down a deposit. it shows he has every intention to purchase. I think its silly on his part, but you should be happy.

steve312, Nov 27, 9:27pm
Win, win for you as far as I can see.The fact that the winner has parted with some of their cash indicates to me that they are serious about taking the car.As listed above, make it clear that the deposit is non-refundable and balance for the winning auction price is due on uplift of the car.No risk to you after that.No show or no payment of the full outstanding amount leaves you with their deposit to compensate you for the inconvenience and a car to relist.

friendly_prawn, Nov 27, 9:33pm
Regarding some of the comments above.
These auctions that state inspection must be done before the close of the auction are IMHO rediculous.
There is no way i would buy a car, unless the seller agreed to let me inspect before handing over the money. (after the close of the auction)I would never take anyone's words that the car is in the condition that it was supposed to be in.
How do you know that in between your last inspection and winning the auction the car hasn't been hammered and now has serious issues.

And what about some one that wants to buy but only discovers the auction 10 minutes before closing and doesn't have a chance to inspect first. Wouldn't you if winning under those conditions want to at the very least give the car a quick spin around the block.
Personally I wont buy from any auction that refuses inspection after the auction closes.

fiatracer, Nov 27, 9:52pm
!I don't get it.OF COURSE a buyer should state that inspections must happen BEFORE the auction closes! It's an AUCTION. You don't bid, win, then choose to take it or not.

fiatracer, Nov 27, 9:54pm
Well. it's called "tough luck". Trademe is generally available 24/7. If you haven't spotted the auction with ample time to arrange for a test drive, it is NOT the seller's problem. Don't bid, or take the risk.

crzyhrse, Nov 27, 10:03pm
The complete opposite.

friendly_prawn, Nov 27, 10:08pm
im not sure its a matter of chosing to take it or not. Its more about being sensible. Its a matter of making sure the seller hasn't lied, or stacked the car in between your last inspection and the auction closing. Imagine this.You go to pick up your previously inspected car you just won at auction. You hand over the cash with out inspecting again.You walks around teh back of the shed to get your car, and there it is with the front all stoved in and the seller has suddenly vanished. .Or you get given the keys. You jump in the car, head off down the road and floor it, only to hear the engine has suddenly developed a loud knocking sound when you put your foot down. So back to the buyers house who says tough luck, buyer beware. Wouldn't you feel foolish! Personally I think its prudent to always inspect first before handing over the cash. No way I would part with any dollars first.

friendly_prawn, Nov 27, 10:11pm
Your just reinforcing what I just said. It's why I dont bid and wont buy at one of those auctions. I refuse to bid on an auction where I cant view after the auction closes.

kazbanz, Nov 27, 10:19pm
Mate its pretty simple really. By bidding on an auction you are making an UNQUALIFIED COMMITMENT to purchase. All or any inspections need to be made before placing a bid.
Thats how an auction -ANY auction works.

friendly_prawn, Nov 27, 10:20pm
yes, exactly. thats my whole point and I think its wrong.We are all entitled to an opinion. If your happy to take that risk so be it. Im not. I now refuse to buy at an auction that wont allow inspections afterwards which obviously counts me out of a lot of auctions. so be it. Tiz life.

kazbanz, Nov 27, 10:24pm
OP--Hey I agree that taking a decent deposit on a car locks in the deal for you. BUT You need to make it clear the deposit is NON refundable and also set a time limit on the sale. The buyer may very well be playing for time.

jason18, Nov 27, 10:28pm
Owww you know I cant bid on your ghost auction F_P

vtecintegra, Nov 27, 10:37pm
It counts you out of ALL auctions.

friendly_prawn, Nov 27, 10:44pm
wrong. so far wrong your off this planet.
There is nothing to stop me explaining my situation and asking if its ok to give the car the once over after buying.It is totally up to the seller how they respond. Unless your magic and can control all trademe auctions. :-)

vtecintegra, Nov 27, 10:51pm
Actually no, read the terms and conditions

friendly_prawn, Nov 27, 10:58pm
if the buyer and seller agreeto certain terms and the deal go's through as supposed to, do you think trademe are going to give a toss. Actually even if the deal didnt go through, trademe does not enforce those terms.Trademe simply refuses to get involved. So your wrong, people can and often do set their own terms.I have more than once stated on my auctions if you dont like what you see upon pick up, you dont have to go through with the auction. I have seen others state this too. . Besides vtec dont you know rules are made to be broken.:-)

a.woodrow, Nov 27, 11:37pm
Seems simple really - you inspect vehicle before auction closes. On winning auction, you check to make sure it is in same condition, then hand over the money.