Unleaded fuel for a premium fuel car!

sally174, Jan 23, 8:05am
Can anyone tell me if regular unleaded can be used in a car that has always had premium fuel (Mitusbushi Diamante Saloon)

vtecintegra, Jan 23, 8:05am
Depends on what engine it has.

sally174, Jan 23, 8:11am
3 litre automatic - standard with 1997 super saloon model. Specified premium fuel but boss said could use 91unleaded no trouble.but I think thats only occassional isn't it! Longer term not good for engine! Or is it just about performance

sw20, Jan 23, 8:15am
Use what the manufacturer recommends.

jasongroves, Jan 23, 8:16am
Use what is recommended.95.

sally174, Jan 23, 8:21am
I think that also but person borrowing it for the next month is adamant that the lower grade will do no harm. Will abide by my wishes but maintains it makes no difference. I just wanted to know what the reasoning was

sally174, Jan 23, 8:28am
Yes -realised both are unleaded so wondered what would the difference be. Economy/Perfromance is obviously the answer. Thanks

thejazzpianoma, Jan 23, 8:37am
Yes, you have it there. Also. don't take this the wrong way but be wary of lending your car to someone who straight away thinks they know better than you and the manufacturer. Especially when they don't even realise that the change means a false economy.

The car is SPECIFICALLY designed for that grade, from the amount the cylenders compress the air/fuel mix to how the computer times the ignition sequence and under what conditions.

The car has fail safe systems to cope with idiots running low grade fuel but this continually pushes the computer to compensate which makes economy even worse again.

1grasshopper, Jan 23, 9:03am
I had a friend borrow our car and filled it up with 91 (we have a 94 Mitsi Libero turbo) did no damage to the car (well that I noticed anyway) but used way more litres per 100km

budgel, Jan 26, 1:01pm
A wise man once said:'People who lend cars end up without them.'