Fuel for Outdoor Power Tools

skull, Jan 4, 3:47am
What petrol would you guys recommend I buy for my gardening gear, Stihl 2 strokes and 4 stroke mowers! Hoping like hell it's the same for both. Currently I'm using super but happy to change if there are valid reasons.

bellky, Jan 4, 3:51am
i just use 91 for no other reason than cheaper and have had no problems

we have ride-on mower, stihl chainsaws

mrfxit, Jan 4, 4:41am
Most if not ALL small motors are factory built & certed for 91.
it's the type & volume of oil that changes from motor to motor

Have never ever heard of a factory recommendation to run anything higher, in fact I have seen a few warnings NOT to run higher then 91

jmma, Jan 4, 8:15am
Just don't use Mobil 91 if in the Wellington area as the small machines do not like the ethonol mix.

richms, Jan 4, 11:00am
I get 95 since it means I have 95 in the can in case the car runs out/whatever, never had any problems.

The time I tried the gull 98 with 2 stroke it was hopeless and seemed to go off within a fortnight.

mrcat1, Jan 4, 11:53am
Husky and Stihl sent out a directive years ago to only use 95 octane fuel, i use 95 in 18 small engines i have and never had a problem.

40wav, Jan 4, 8:27pm
I just use 91 in everything and my chainsaw is still going strong after 15 years. The fuel/oil mix in two strokes is more important (I think) and I always take my time to get it just right.

peacebird15, Jan 4, 8:59pm
I thought ethanol was dropped by most places. I have yet to come across anyone who admits selling it. Your right though, its hell on 2 strokes.

jmma, Jan 4, 9:06pm

skull, Jan 5, 7:49am
Thx for your mixed advice guys, I'm going to try 91 after many moons of using super only.

richard198, Jan 5, 8:06am
I use 91 in my Husky and used to use 91 in the Navy's Stihls. No problems with either.

peacebird15, Jan 5, 8:36am
Wankers! I asked them at that station a few times, morons said it was dropped a while back!