Fuel Cards.diesel

Page 1 / 2
noodleman4, Jan 12, 10:29pm
Hi all, im considering buying a diesel Chev Silverado or sim as a daily, which or who has the best priced fuel card availble for a private user, if poss! Im in Ch Ch ,Thanks

intrade, Jan 12, 10:33pm
do you get special prices on diesel! i was thinking its only lpg . brings me to another point . I would not buy a diesel unless you can fix the diesel you purchase your self. Petrol with LPG injection and rockgas lpg card is what i would be going for. Also dont forget the road user charges make diesel-fuel almost as expensive as petrol if not more expensive.

intrade, Jan 12, 10:42pm
petrol is 2.10$ truck uses 14 liter petrol per 100km distance=29.40$
diesel truck uses 10 liter diesel times 1.6$=16$ plus 4.5cent per km =4.5$=20.5$ is 8,9$ cheaper it seems. Now you also got to add diesel additive to prevent prematurely death of your fuel-injection system on diesel thats another few$ per 100k
Now to lpg injection same truck petrol
14 liter per 100k usage on petrol it is 2% higher on a good LPG injection system thats 14.28 liter lpg to do 100km lets say 15 liter to round itup.
now LPG is at most pumps 1.4$ times 15 liter =21$ to run your petrol truck on lpg no additive and no roaduser charges are hitting you in the guts. only a one off lpg-kit instalation and maintainance cost every 10 year tank and dont know what lpg wof is.

intrade, Jan 12, 10:46pm
to summ it now up
Petrol only truck 29.4$
diesel truck 20.5$+additive 2$=22.5$ (ongoing high maintainance cost)
lpg truck 21$ no extra cost other then maintaining lpg kit
even cheaper with rockgas card i was told.

Well this is how i see it why it is a waste of time to own a diesel unless you are a mechanic with new diesel technology knowhow .

noodleman4, Jan 12, 10:46pm
Hi, dont know if you can get special diesel price either thats why im asking, i have a mate who can fix so no probs there, im thinking petrol/lpg not much better economy as you'd go thru shed loads of the stuff. Hav'nt forgotten about RUCs. I can get maint consumables at a very good price as well. Cheers :)

noodleman4, Jan 12, 10:49pm
Hi Intrade, thanks for your fast replies and info , great to see REAL info. :)

vtecintegra, Jan 12, 10:54pm
I'd be double checking that information.

The penalty for running LPG much more than 2% possibly more than 20%, and depending on what the truck is being used for diesel may still work out much more economical. Note also LPG is not particularly widely available these days and you won't get the range out of it.

intrade, Jan 12, 11:00pm
vtecintegra (31 )11:54 am, Fri 13 Jan #7
Read up i specifically said LPG-injection and not just any of em the best you have to fit that exist and they do operate on just 2% more plus my figure is more then 2% i rounded it up.
20% extra lpg is what old units use that just dump lpg in to the intake.
new lpg system operate with the signal from the cars computer and calculate the correct lpg amount to be injected from that signal. car should be obd2 for fine tuning via obd to sinchronise the lpg kit.

intrade, Jan 12, 11:03pm
ok that puts you already in the better boots to own a diesel . but normal people wont get no benefit owning a diesel as the cost of repair bill for a commonrail diesel that has been neglected or poorly costructed is in the 1000 of $$ aka toyota D4D engine is a classic example of a money pit.

bashfulbro, Jan 13, 2:37am
You can, with Caltex,Mobil and some others but the discount you get less than pump price fluctuates, depending on the amount you use.( The more fuel you use,the bigger the discount) Refueling at Truck stops ,gives you evenmore discount than service stations

noodleman4, Jan 13, 3:53am
Thanks for that bashfulbro :)

vtecintegra, Jan 13, 4:01am
Source!

Even the factory dedicated LPG Falcon (about the best case scenario) is 25% worse than the petrol model.

I think you're dreaming if you thing a retrofit onto a Chev V8 is going to do any better

thunderbolt, Jan 13, 4:06am
Have heard some noise that Diesel milage charges will be changed later this year and charged on maximum laden weight for each vehicle, and rounded up to the nearest ton.

So in theory a Turbo diesel mondog wagon with full tank, passengers and load could weight over 3 ton, and would therefore be rated at 4 ton.

Anyone else have more "info" on this!

mrcat1, Jan 13, 6:40am
All of the fuel companys will give you a card that they charge for like a credit card but unless you doing a millon liters a day they won't give you any discount, are you a member of Farmlands! If so use it at Caltex truckstops and it also depends if its a Trunkline truckstop you will get 6 cents a liter of diesel price, if its a truckstop with a service station you will get the discount of the station price, but if you go to a Trunkline truck stop it is cheaper again than service stations, you could end up with 8-9 cents of per liter over service stations.

mrcat1, Jan 13, 6:42am
Yes, i have heard this kind of noise, it will be to GVM as set by manufacturer, but can't really see it flying very far.

fordfan62, Jan 13, 6:55pm
Diners gas card,5% disc at gasolene alley servos,had my credit card for 4yrs,so at $2.10ltr i save 10.5cpl.And have the terms of credit card etc.

r15, Jan 13, 7:56pm
Intrade's maths includes purchasing additives though.I have known a lot of people with diesels and owned almost only diesels myself.None of us have ever used additives, no failed vehicles yet.Seems to be a scaremongering tactic. And I know there will be plenty of people along with similar stories

r15, Jan 13, 7:58pm
Also rural fuels fuel card is the one you want.Free sign up, no minimum spend, 5 to 7 cents off national pricing.

noodleman4, Jan 13, 11:21pm
Thanks everyone for your replies and comments :)

tara101, Jan 14, 3:00am

offrd1, Jan 14, 5:13am
Not true i have cards from Shell,Mobil and BP,they all give you at least 5 cents a litre plus your fuel is charged as the same as the city price which is 11 cents cheaper than hereand it doesn't matter how much fuel you use,In the country where our fuel is much more expensive they are well worth having

mrcat1, Jan 14, 7:11am
It's strange how people come out with this yet when i went to sign up for a fuel company card they said no discounts on fuel, i said to them what was the point in having one of their cards and they said i could buy fuel at any of their service stations, i said i have a eftpos card so i don't have to pay their fees and i can buy fuel at any service station i want to, not just theirs, didnt make any difference at all.

offrd1, Jan 14, 8:05am
Just looking at my account and I'm definitely getting my discount,not sure what they are on about.that very definitely is WRONG .you can buy anything in the service station with mine,but only discount on the fuel.i have 2 shell cards one is from a private company called card plus which probably the best the other 3 are just fuel company cards but get good discount on all of them.i've had mine for over 10 years.aPS here the only thing i can think of is that our petrol price is skies the limit here and my cards bring it down to their bottom line price,I'm saving over 11 cents here and if your petrol price is at that bottom line the saving may not be that good.just guessing

kiwitracy, Jan 14, 8:13am
If you have a G.A.S station close, you could sign up for one of their cards.It gives you 5% off all purchases (probably excludes smokes tho!)

If you are associated with Police, Fire, Ambo, or quite a few other services you could check out the "InUniform" card.(inuniform.co.nz)

goron56, Jan 14, 8:14am
Yep ive had nissan diesels for umteen years,never had any additives put through them,never had
a problem.