Anone got a land rover discovery!

Page 1 / 2
wrinkley, Nov 29, 10:33pm
there are plenty out there but am looking at one that is manual. do you know of problems with the manuals! because they are less common would that make parts/overhaul etc more expensive!

roz12, Nov 29, 11:13pm
we didnt have a manual but the auto we had was sh&^&t, electrics kept letting us down, and it abs light spent more time on than off, and spent alot of money heading up to chch (400km) to dealers, every time something went wrong, as only dealers had the right computer for re-setting it.
Oh and it was petrol
The best thing we evry did was sell it and get a prada

mm12345, Nov 29, 11:14pm

richard198, Nov 29, 11:32pm
Bottom of the heap for reliability!

wrinkley, Nov 29, 11:35pm
doesnt suprise me but you know what its like when the bloke has his mind set on something in particular

mm12345, Nov 29, 11:38pm
That's cool - yeah, blokes will be blokes.
Just make sure your pre-nup contract will hold up in court, and run separate bank accounts.It's be a damned shame to see the kids starve just because he liked a certain car brand.

richard198, Nov 29, 11:43pm
Or buy really good insurance!

mm12345, Nov 29, 11:50pm
Won't work.When the OP eventually wrings her partner's neck for buying the disco, the life insurance policy will be voided - even if any rational person would see it as justifiable homicide.

elect70, Nov 30, 2:24am
I got a s1 auto280 k on itimportgets a hard lifenext to the beach& outsideonly problem isABS lightsometimes it goes out& sometimes not. I get WOF when its offOther than that no problems,the old3.9 rover motor simple to fix,had blown head gasket when I got itbut $100 parts & good as . Cheap reliable4 wdnot exactly luxuriousor fastbutgood off road .Oh &avoid any with air bagsuspension

hallucinogen_99, Nov 30, 4:57am
Prodigious thirst. And I own a 3.9.

chitty11, Nov 30, 11:08pm
I have a S1 disco.auto tho.its a great vehicle love it to bits 3.9 V8 yes it has a large tank and is bit thirsty but depends what you need it for I bought it for towing and a second car for when gf needs other car. runs great. only big issue was the SRS light which was to do with the clock spring in steering wheel.other than that awesome to drive. I think OP needs to say what he wants it foras could be something more suited but for towing & offroad I would say its top of the lot.plus I love the V8 rumble :)

jsbike, Nov 30, 11:22pm
had one, was nicknamed "the bus" though im sure a proper bus would have handled better, been faster and used less gas. never broke down though.

elect70, Dec 1, 1:39am
^^^Cant expect afull chassis4 wdweighing2 ton to handle or have the economy of a carhorses for courses

stabi360, Dec 1, 1:58am
those lucas auto electrical parts are amazing

unclejake, Dec 1, 3:41am
Wrinkly, I have driven an early model 3.9, coil sprung, manual Disco that had been fitted with aftermarket swaybars. It was surprisingly good.

They are no where near as unreliable as a similar Range Rover as there is simply less to go wrong. For the price they are a fair bit of truck.

wrinkley, Dec 1, 4:50am
its for a daily driver, he expects it to guzzle so thats not a problem, also to tow

mm12345, Dec 1, 4:56am
They're quite heavy - so you'll need something quite good to tow it with.

taipan4, Dec 1, 5:32am
Joseph Lucas "the prince of darkness"

roz12, Dec 1, 5:46am
have to agree, we had to tow ours more than once before we finally saw the light and got rid of it

wrinkley, Dec 1, 6:04am
lol, thats good!

el-chico, Dec 11, 6:37am
looking at going from an L300 4x4 van to one of these myself. We still want something big enough to sleep in but better on the beach, and better economy. Would want the manual turbo diesel though.

fryan1962, Dec 11, 7:38am
Go Toyota the poms make crap cars and 4x4s and bikes

yup I had a disco it was lpg 5 speed it was a weird gear box it was a bit truck like, I took it to a landrover mech he said yup there all like that.

early discoveries were based on range rover

pssst toyota

wrinkley, Dec 12, 1:40am
sold the toyota this morning so as long as that all goes through properly and not a time waster, the man will be getting his new vehicle altough he's kinda thinking range rover now. do the discovery rear seats all fold down so we can sleep in the back!

elect70, Dec 12, 1:53am
^^ if you are a pygmy ,or can sleepcurled up ,there is only 1.5 M between back of front seats & rear door

mm12345, Dec 12, 2:29am
Discos and Range Rovers were intended for sale to people who can afford to drive them to their country estates -not to sleep in the back on a beach.
But it's good that you're thinking ahead - by the time you've owned either for a while, you'll probably be broke and homeless, so it'll beat sleeping under the stars.