Not getting fuel to the carburetor

trader127, Dec 1, 3:57am
Hi guys, I just replaced my gas tank on the 72 roadrunner, and hooked up all the lines etc. I've been turning it over for a bit now and there is no fuel going into the carburetor. I put close to 6 litres of fuel in the gas tank as well. The pump is working fine because I had the car going without a tank for a while. Any ideas! or just keep turning it over for a little while longer!

ginga4lyfe, Dec 1, 4:03am
Take the line off the carb and see if the fuel is actually being pumped out the end, did you actually check to see if the new fuel tanks isnt clogged were the lines screw into the tank!

lookoutas, Dec 1, 4:25am
6 litres probably hasn't even wet the pick-up pipe. Dump another 20 in at least, don't be a TA.
Dribble a little bit of gas down the carb to kick it into life.

trader127, Dec 1, 4:27am
I did check the tanks and the lines, and nothing is clogged up. The lines are full of air and are empty when I put the new tank in (naturally) so does it just take some time for the pump to get the fuel down the length of the car!

trader127, Dec 1, 4:28am
Yeah I was thinking that, I just emptied a full jerry can into it, so I might put a bit more in it and see what happens!

unclejake, Dec 1, 5:39am
I must agree

trader127, Dec 1, 6:28am
Ok so put more fuel in (at least $40 worth) but still nothing. However just before the pump there is a bit of tubing that goes from the pump to the fuel line. I removed it from where it attaches at the fuel line and got someone to turn it over and there was no vacuum or anything coming from the tube. So does this mean that the pump is indeed buggered!

therafter1, Dec 1, 6:46am
No it doesn't mean it is buggered . what it probably means is that it needs priming with fuel, the easiest way I find to is to use an air gun and a rag stuffed into the fuel tank and give it squirts (don't get carried away pressurising the tank).

It is easier with two people.

mr340, Dec 1, 7:18am
fuel pump pushrod if b/block

trader127, Dec 1, 8:05am
What I did was fed some fuel through the tube into the fuel pump and got the thing running! Then I put the tube back into the fuel line and started her up.now that must have drawn up some fuel from the tank because she kept running! So I'll try my luck tomorrow and see what happens : ) cheers!

skin1235, Dec 1, 8:16am
in cases like that I've often disconnected the line at the carb and sucked until gas gets there, the old diaphragm pumps were well known for getting a wee bit of grit on the check valve face and wouldn't make vacuum enough to lift from the tank
By the time you've sucked a mouthful of gas through you've also dislodged the grit, then they work fin till next time
Fit a cheap inline filter just before the pump, and make sure all connections are secure - slightest air ingress may not show as a fuel leak but will stop the pump from working real quick

dave653, Dec 1, 8:40am
Christ. the fuel lines, filter, and float bowl(s) will hold way more than 6 litres! PUT MORE GAS IN! My old '69 Buick was 18 foot long, had a 95 litre tank and a 4 barrel rochester. think about it dude!

skin1235, Dec 1, 8:42am
the sludge in the bottom below the pickup line would be nearer 10 litres alone - but I think he has already resolved that by tossing in another $40 worth, and found the pump does indeed now work

mellisa2000, Dec 1, 11:42am
Rubbish.

strobo, Dec 1, 6:39pm
2nd that !

dave653, Dec 1, 10:17pm
Ok, maybe somewhat rubbish, but a large yank car with big diameter fuel lines will easily swallow a great deal of fuel, and how many fuel pickups (in old cars) are sitting on the absolute bottom of the tank!

trader127, Dec 1, 10:33pm
haha this yank does not have large diameter fuel lines, hence why I thought a jerry can should do the trick ;) even after I put 20L nothing was coming through until I primed the pump. No sludge either (shes a new tank)

dave653, Dec 1, 10:35pm
Glad ya got it sorted.

lookoutas, Dec 2, 4:25am
Just a cap full of gas down the carb would have done it - repeated until constant noise.

dave653, Dec 2, 5:40am
Baseball cap!