Honda cbr

Page 1 / 2
sidewayz3, Dec 2, 6:41am
Got a Honda cbr 250 road bike been sittin fOr two weeks and now won't start it a 1987 mc17 any ideas

ralphdog1, Dec 2, 6:56am
How about a few more hints!

tigertim20, Dec 2, 7:04am
define 'wont start' does it turn over! does the battery have charge! need a few more details mate.

loonee-dial-111, Dec 2, 7:09am
I had one of those and I know a lot about them. Is the fuel tap on! Is the engine kill switch on! Does it kind of start i.e. seems to run on some cylinders but not all!

kazbanz, Dec 2, 7:16am
Sideways --ok back to the simple stuff.
1) is the kill switch turned on -ie the flat bit towards you
2) do the dash lights turn on!
3) Is petrol turned on

If all this is yep then DONT try cranking it over again.
With a low charge in the battery there aint enough power to fire the spark plugs so they oil up
Remove the seat and connect the batter to a cars battery with jumper leads. Try now with decent power

sidewayz3, Dec 2, 7:40am
Turns over fine every things seems to be fine just won't fire

sidewayz3, Dec 2, 7:42am
Battery seems to be ok al tho have it on charge now

ralphdog1, Dec 2, 7:42am
Listen to Kaz

loonee-dial-111, Dec 2, 8:05am
OK assuming you've checked the obvious:
These bikes are much easier to push start unless you jumper a car battery on (not just a charger).

Get a mate to push you down the road (or DIY if you're a fit gymnastic type of person as you need to jump on if it's not running at all)
choke off throttle full open
Drop the clutch in 2nd or 3rd or push continuously in top gear.
If it's really flooded you will need to do this several times. Once you've had enough ,try it with the choke off and throttle fully closed.
You'll know when it is starting to fire as it is a lot easier/is possible to push with the clutch out. Once it starts to go try opening the throttle very slightly while your mate is pushing, it may start progressively running on more cylinders or less (adjust throttle as required).

Note - main idea is throttle fully open (dry out) or fully closed (start) until something happens. no choke

sidewayz3, Dec 2, 8:37am
Ok will try that thank u for it help I'll let u know tomro how it goes

sidewayz3, Dec 2, 8:39am
Will try car battery first

whqqsh, Dec 2, 8:12pm
young guy had the same with his 250 Suzuki recently, left it parked in the boilerhouse at work for a few weeks then wouldnt start, first thing I thought was fuel (evaporation) & those silly vacuum valves on the tap, try switching the tap to prime (PRI) for a few minutes then try starting, once (if) it starts switch back to ON

loonee-dial-111, Dec 2, 11:56pm
My cbr250r mc17 doesn't have a prime position. There is a vacuum hose from the no.1 cylinder and no fuel flows unless there is vacuum in any position. So if you run it out of fuel until it completely dies then switch to reserve it has to turn over for a while before it will start.

loonee-dial-111, Dec 3, 12:00am
If the starter motor is too hot to touch give it a break for an hour. You'll kill the starter before you flatten the car battery in my experience.

kazbanz, Dec 3, 12:00am
Basicly in my experience the little plugs in those bikes get fouled up REALLY fast if you have any less that a fully charged battery.The bike SEEMS to be turning over fine but it often isn't enough to alsp put a fat spark in the plugs.
At this stage I'd whip the plugs out and give em a good clean then try again as I suggested---ie connect a decent battery to the bike and crank it over

sidewayz3, Dec 4, 4:04am
Just got it going pushed it down the street in the rain may I add in top gear full throttle with gas off turn gas back on turned it over for about 20 secs and fired into life took about 30 or 40 seconds for it to run right again but now going fine.
Will have to start it more offen wen not being used thank you all for your help

sidewayz3, Dec 4, 4:07am
While its not being used should I turn fuel off and run it out of gas before storing it away over xmass or just make sure gas is off!
Won't be used for month or two as im going away on holiday

spoon27, Dec 12, 8:47am
i have one for sale if u want one for parts

crzyhrse, Dec 12, 10:08am
No need to do either. But disconnect the battery or put it on a small charge & maintain charger.

i-n-horz, Dec 12, 7:50pm
Just got our lil'CB 250 run'n after nearly 4yrs sit'n idle,fired up on the first turn but took a good 20-30mins to run right.boy has now pass'd his basic handling test with theory to go and become another Kiwi biker to experience our awesome motorcycling roads.

jsbike, Dec 12, 7:54pm
kill switch on the stand!

r15, Dec 12, 7:55pm
its poked , ill give you $200 for it

mike77, Dec 12, 8:01pm
I had one ages ago, found out that yep, those plugs foul really easily. (More so on 96 octane). A quick squirt of engine start across the carbs and only kept 91 in it, and it never foulded again.

glenn_michelle, Dec 13, 7:04am
definately invest in a trickle charger/battery tender,when you park it up plug it in and it keeps the battery topped up and only charges when it needs it,

sidewayz3, Dec 14, 6:36am
Sweet thanks for all ur help been riding it the last few days and have had no mre problems