What symptoms for car needing sparkplug changes!

Page 2 / 2
franc123, Dec 6, 6:39am
LMAO, you are going to get some funny looks if you try and buy a dist cap for a 6cyl EF, it doesn't have a distributor at all, nor is the timing adjustable.You say the fuel pump was replaced, was it established why it failed in first place!My money is on a blocked fuel filter that should have been replaced at the same time as the pump and is still giving you grief.Good luck.

carkitter, Dec 7, 1:13am
Don't put any lubricant on the spark plug threads. The spark earths through the thread and into the cylinder head. Lubricant can act as an insulator. NOT recommended.

mrfxit, Dec 7, 3:58am
Never a waste if it hasn't been done in a long time.

mrfxit, Dec 7, 4:00am
A thin coating is normally fine, most of it gets cut off with the edges of the thread (plug thread edge to hole thread edge) & crushed off on the plug taper/ washer.

les6, Dec 7, 6:26am
you may think it does but probably not working at best efficency!give it a birthday for 8 yrs good service!

44.magnum, Dec 7, 7:59am
it will be the leads the current is not getting to the plugs as the current is breaking down under load before it gets that far.

44.magnum, Dec 7, 8:11am
to avoid cross threading the plugs hold the plug sqaure against the head and turn anticlockwise with light pressure when it gets to the point where the thread starts you will feel it locate now turn clock wise the thread will now be started with very low chance of cross threading

mellisa2000, Dec 7, 9:13am
As you mentioned above, op, fingers first. Job done. No grease etc, just do up firm, not crank the bejayzus out of them. Replace the leads one at a time, There are numbers on the EF coil pack, you can see from above with a good torch. Hard to see but are there. A-hole leads to fit nicely, but the EF is hard on leads and they won't go amiss.

farnortherner, Dec 11, 11:56am
Hmmmm.

farnortherner, Dec 11, 11:59am
Well will be sorting the spark plugs and leads out this week, hmm hopefully I may get some time tomorrow, will update you all.About the distributor cap Franc123, I did ask for a quote on the distributor cap for the ef falcon and they told me $46.so Im not too sure what you are meaning saying there isnt one!

farnortherner, Dec 11, 12:01pm
Ae, it is hard Mellisa2000 to see the leads and where it goes too, hopefully will have some time tomorrow, Thanks, and no I was told I dont have to put any other things on the spark plugs so well I wont be.And yes I do believe it is the leads, I have such a stoney road, bumpy especially with farmers tractor wheels going over the stoney road alot, its amazing it hadnt done this sooner, its just buggering up my car.

farnortherner, Dec 14, 8:28am
Hello all, Just an update to let yous know car is running well now after changing all the spark plugs and the leads also all new.So No more problem with the running of the car.Thanks to everyone who gave me advice and help.

farnortherner, Dec 14, 8:29am
I noticed the gap in 3 spark plugs was all out to being where it is supposed to be, so that wouldnt have helped.So all is great with running of the car.

teddybear9, Dec 16, 10:16pm
Wow what you are describing is EXACTLY what my ef falcon is doing when you get down to the problem elimanation i will watch the space lol