What symptoms for car needing sparkplug changes!

Page 1 / 2
farnortherner, Jan 8, 1:56am
Just getting back to the distributor cap, they dont have one, its called something else coil or something, so Franc123 thank you for letting me know that.Teddybear9.My car is running better than it ever has now since doing the spark plug and lead change.Doesnt have that missing power in it up the hill and like it wants to stall or should I say like a bunny hop up the hill anymore, just goes straight up with out any holding back.So be a good thing for your car to sort out the spark plugs and the leads.Thank yous all for your help, Awesome.And Happy New Year.

rsr72, Jan 8, 1:59am
If putting lubricant on the plugs, make sure you only rub a very small amount on the mid-upper threads only, and not down to the contact points. Keep lubricant away from first few threads.

farnortherner, Dec 4, 9:20pm
Got oil change and oil filter change, now car only just started playing up going up hills, and now starting play up, like it wants to back fire, does this mean I should be changing the spark plugs on my old ford falcon stationwagon, I believe it needs new spark plugs and leads.Do you think that this relates to the push push up the hill on accelerating my car up hill, like it wants to put out, but it hasnt yet, put some injection fuel cleaning stuff in petrol and filled her up with it, and feels likes its farting it all out and not getting any power properly on the hills mainly.

farnortherner, Dec 4, 9:21pm
Just got new warrant and rego two weeks ago on the car so dont mind spending another hundred on getting spark plugs sorted.

farnortherner, Dec 4, 9:25pm
the auto parts guy says probably the spark plugs and since its been sitting for a year before I brought it and just got new warrant when I got it, I replaced the fuel pump when I got it as it stopped on me, so now Im going to change the sparkplugs and its leads.

the-lada-dude, Dec 4, 9:29pm
see you really didn't need any advise at all, well done !

farnortherner, Dec 4, 11:26pm
Aww Thankyou The-lada-dude, I went straight down and ordered my leads and 6 spark plugs, brought me my Tool set needed to do it, and the Man says its all commen sense, I will have a Ford Car Manual ready for you to borrow at 10am tomorrow with your parts thats been ordered.So you just have a coffee and study it and take your time, and said to do it correctly and read up about the firing order.I did remember my Father inlaw years ago talking about the firing order, so well will have to read up on that also before I start.My Father in laws passed on now, but I have found myself asking him what was it dad! Hmmm so I start searching on Internet youtube about how to do it all.The Autoparts guy says to me Women can do anything, so you just get down and do it yourself.Read the Manual and study it for your car, so looking forward to reading the Repair manual, will have to photocopy alot of what I need.

saxman99, Dec 4, 11:28pm
Be careful not to cross thread the plugs, quite easy to do if you've never done it before.

therafter1, Dec 4, 11:29pm
You don't need to worry about the firing order, just replace one lead at a time.

farnortherner, Dec 4, 11:29pm
So I know dont dethread it, put the spark plug on straight and hand thread the spark plug first and do it straight dont go crooked or I could mess up the thread and then Ive got a real problem.So Im going to do one spark plug at a time and one lead to the Distributor at a time, and he told me what to take off on the top, and showed me where my distributor is also.SO Thank ful for his help.

tigra, Dec 4, 11:30pm
If the new plugs dont work (and they are a good investment anyway) you might need to get your timing checked and adjusted.

farnortherner, Dec 4, 11:30pm
And also to make sure car is cooled down.All commen sense he said.

farnortherner, Dec 4, 11:32pm
Ok Tigra, thank you any idea on an estimate of how much that would cost for the timing check and adjusting the timing! for ford falcon stationwagon 95 auto!

farnortherner, Dec 4, 11:34pm
Thank you everyone, anything else I should know for the spark plugs and leads to the distributor!
and an amount of timing check and readjustment if the spark plugs and lead change dont work!

a.woodrow, Dec 4, 11:34pm
Can almost guarantee that you don't need to mess with this

farnortherner, Dec 4, 11:53pm
Aww Thanks a.woodrow I so hope I dont need to get someone in for the timing check and adjusting the timing!It was all going superb before, me thinks when My Mate with the muscles took off the oil filter he may have really bumped something out or something.

ceebee2, Dec 5, 12:45am
!stale fuel.

richard198, Dec 5, 12:49am
Don't forget to gap the new plugs before fitting!

farnortherner, Dec 5, 7:49am
These new ones are already done for the spark plugs with the gapping, I dont have to muck around with it they told me. They have a cover over them

fordcrzy, Dec 5, 8:05am
put some copper coat or nickel coat on the sparkplugs when installing them so you lessen the risk of getting a plug seized in the head

trogedon, Dec 5, 8:15am
I got our Libero at 58kms 8 years ago. It??

farnortherner, Dec 5, 8:21am
Fordcrzy how do you do the copper or nickel coat on the spark plugs!

tigra, Dec 5, 10:00am
Its a type of lubricant. Even ordinary grease will do

farnortherner, Dec 6, 6:24am
Aww dam I so hope not, I havent started on the car yet, but thanks for letting me know, I will have to have a look into it, and the manuel the fella forgot to bring it in this morning when I picked up the order of sparkplugs.Hmmm I did wonder if hed done anything wrong to the car, because come to think of it, the cars been playing up since the oil change.

farnortherner, Dec 6, 6:33am
Grrr and now Ive wasted alot on spark plugs and a lead, and may have to buy a distributor cap.I will have to check it out.