Wiring probs on trailer

scoobeey, Nov 10, 12:34am
Indicators work fine,tail lights ok,but when i operate brake light indicators very slightl dim and marker lights indicate also when operating tail and indicators other indicator goes dimly.new tail lights white earth,yellow left ind,green right ind ,red tail,brown brake .wiring not that old 3 yrs/ any ideas thanks

scoobeey, Nov 10, 12:38am
red brake brown tail ok

skin1235, Nov 10, 12:39am
bad earth, check by putting jumper cable from trailer chassis to car chassis ( towbar car to towbar trailer will do), if it fixes it then you have a bad connection in the plug, if it doesn't fix it you have a bad earth on at least one of the light units

ceebee2, Nov 10, 12:49am
You must have a separate earth connected within the trailer plug as it can damage the car computer.

scoobeey, Nov 10, 1:16am
plugs seems ok.indicators work fine as does tail lights BUT when turning on indicators then tail together the marker lights on the side start flashing and weird in tail lights as well !

mrfxit, Nov 10, 1:44am
Yep bad earth 1st (corroded/split/ busted)
or
2 wires shorting together (rub spot)
Could even be AT the connection in the boot

scoobeey, Nov 10, 1:58am
cheers everyone some detective work to do lol:))

scoobeey, Nov 10, 4:26am
ok i bought a new plug and ran a new wire straight to lamp from plug indicator,earth,tail and same prob.car was pro wired a yr ago

scoobeey, Nov 10, 5:37am
any ideas cheers

richard198, Nov 10, 5:49am
Not so pro after all!
I always checked my installs for a correct result before leaving.
Can you use a multi meter!

skin1235, Nov 10, 5:55am
then check all the bulbs, it is possible to fit a single contact into a double contact holder and thus cross circuit, it causes similar issues as you state

scoobeey, Nov 10, 5:59am
thanx i bought a complete unit with bulbs included !

skin1235, Nov 10, 7:47pm
then it is a bad earth ( current is flowing through other circuits back to cardue to restricted earth passage), or wires have been crossed allowing other circuits to be energised by the intended ones

what was the result of a jumper lead between the trailer towbar and the car towbar!

skull, Nov 10, 8:29pm
You really need to focus on the earth, 80% of the time your symptom will be earth related

scoobeey, Nov 10, 10:54pm
the jumpre lead still had same symptoms so i will be lookin at crossed wires or poor earth .will keep looking cheers for ya help:)))

skin1235, Nov 10, 11:05pm
look at how the individual lights are earthed to the trailer chassis too, plastic bumpers are not a good earth I've found, and it only takes one such to reverse feed the other circuits

you can use a batt, and leads to feed the systems, cuts out the car itself, eliminates any issues from there, center pin is earth! to neg, poss to individuals to check all is well, then pos to combined other to show all is well
then shift the earth to the chassis and repeat, the loom should be earthed to the chassis too,(unless you have specifically designed an earth return wired system - some truck trailers do require such)

richard198, Nov 11, 5:34am
I heard a rumour it doesn't hurt if you don't! (after you're dead that is!)

bae13, Nov 11, 7:01am
i back bigfatmat1's answer.

luxy, Feb 20, 2:44pm
bad earth!