I want to repower my light truck

paull, Dec 7, 6:04am
mitsubishi canter 93 dbl cab, currently has a 2.8 diesel 5 spd, real slug of a truck but its in great shape and i love the room it has for me and my kids to head off fishing or what ever, i dont want to buy a new truck cause a standard dbl cab isnt big enough for 6 of us,now i was thinking of going down the 1uz witha toyota v8 but mechanic reckons it will be a exspensive transplant and i wouldnt get any change out of 10k on a nice day if it all went to plan, what other options do i have ! maybe a nice little small block chevy or 3.8v6 commy engine, what probs would i encounter apart from fitting the engine and box, i will go auto. thx

mugenb20b, Dec 7, 6:35am
1. It will need to be certified.
2. If you are using a petrol motor, it will be thirsty.
3. It will take more time to repower the truck if using a non factory drivetrain.
4. You may have issues with gearing (ie. the first gear may be too high), not sure on this one.
5. In all honesty, I would just get a good second hand motor, and fit new rings, bearings and gaskets if necessary.

alimac1, Dec 7, 7:21am
Work out what you think it will cost, add a thousand and double the result. That will give a ballpark figure of cost.

ralphdog1, Dec 7, 7:38am
Are there any options for getting more snot out of the existing setup!
Is it a turbo, if not could it be sort of thing.
When did it last have a maintenance birthday!

skin1235, Dec 7, 8:41am
whats the tare weight, and whats the final drive ratio

bubbles244, Dec 7, 8:45am
Is that the same 2.8 they use in the sport l200's!

if so, 4g63-T

neville48, Dec 7, 9:12am
put a bigger engine option in for that year and/or turbo etc and try and bluff the wof through and no-one may notice the changes.

panicky, Dec 7, 9:17am
A 4g63-T is a 2.0L petrol engine.Likely to be a 4m40, I would probably look to be fitting a 4m40T turbo engine

serf407, Dec 7, 9:05pm
Is it likely to be a wiring issue if you change engines !
What are the potential probs if you add a turbo if not turboed oem !
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi_4M4_engine Is there anything in this lot ! http://www.vernonandvazey.co.nz/!action=show_parts&type=T-MITSU&code=ENGINE
Would this be any quicker !
Listing #: 429807152
Buy lighter fishing gear to speed up the journey.

paull, Dec 7, 9:38pm
its a 4dr7 engine and yes just had birthday last week and ,motor has only done 160ks and uses no oil or water and runs quite well but is just a slug, talked to a bloke yesterday who said they are geared really low so if i could find another diff head and give it some longer legs it may be quite a bit better,, i dont know how to work out the ratio though and will it say on the truck somewhere what the ratio is,thx for the help guys

drew2009, Dec 12, 2:21am
3.8 commy engine would be a good way to go. Easy enough to make fit.

mrfxit, Dec 12, 2:30am
The higher the final drive ratio = higher torque & more fuel needed to get it up to highway speeds .
Will also be slower on the hills & or with loads
Low ratios are very suited to low torque engines.

Sounds like what you need is a suitable turbo kit fitted, don't need a big unit, just big enough to make a difference .