Engine brakes on my truck

debbie11, Dec 21, 10:48pm
I have a 1990 Daihatsu Delta horse truck and when we got it earlier in the year the engine brakes worked well, but after winter (it sat around for a few months) we can't feel or hear them working at all.Is this a mechanic issue or a auto electrician issue.!We flick the switch on and off but nothing works.My dad is a diesel mechanic and is coming tomorrow for a few days so will get him to have a look but will it possibly need to go the auto electrician instead!

flitt, Dec 21, 11:13pm
Could be either, but more likely electrical. But your Dad ought to be able to sort it, whichever it is.

flitt, Dec 21, 11:22pm
.btw, I guessed you meant the 'exhaust brake'.

poppajn, Dec 22, 1:26am
You mean the exhaust brake. Most likely electrical, in the hand control, but check the fuse first.
Maybe the shaft in the unit on the exhaust has sieized, just another thought.

berg, Dec 22, 1:40am
Quick check, make sure you have the hand throttle/fast idle all the way off and check for a switch on the dash

debbie11, Dec 22, 2:28am
There is a switch on the dash and there is no hand throttle fast idle on the truck.Will check the fuses, didnt think of that!

bigfatmat1, Dec 22, 6:43am
check the accelerator, clutch switches & fuses oh and as above if it has a engine heat switch make sure that is off.the engine brake switch should be on the column not the dash

nzroadtransport, Dec 22, 10:29am
x1
flick foot under accelerator make sure its right out

skin1235, Dec 22, 6:27pm
and while there check the clutch mechanism, the throttle AND clutch have to be in the rest position ( full out) before the brake will activate, some also have a low rev cutout,(electrical - fused)stops it stalling the engine if it is left on and the engine is required to idle

the-lada-dude, Dec 22, 6:55pm
if all else fails, i use an anchor and rope !

intrade, Dec 22, 6:59pm
probably the butterfly has rusted stuck inside the muffler

paull, Dec 23, 6:49am
yep this is what it will be and easy fix for dad,