Truck people

beney128, Dec 27, 6:09am
should you use engine brakes going up to intersections!

bashfulbro, Dec 27, 6:32am
depends,on circumstances, engine brakes are fitted to prolong the life ofthe trucks service brakes, not just to make a cool noise, and they are most effective at higher revs,down hill, not when slowing down at intersections.

beney128, Dec 27, 6:36am
I use them when going up to intersections as it can be easier and more affective than putting my foot on the brake, also smoother, is this a bad thing!

bjdw, Dec 27, 6:40am
Only if you live next to an intersection and you use them at 2 in the morning!

shazza541, Dec 27, 6:42am
yip

bashfulbro, Dec 27, 6:45am
no, not a bad thing,downhill,fine, but uphill or on flat roads, there is really no great advantage, and if in residential areas, especially at night or early hours,it can brass people other off.They are far more effective, downhill ,used correctly,in the right gear, can eliminate almost all use of service brakes.

beney128, Dec 27, 6:50am
oh thanks people! yea i use them going up to intersections, but its not very residential its more industrial and studentville :D

brokebloke1, Dec 27, 7:30pm
I only use them when fully loaded, going down a steep grade or in icey conditions, some places in NZ you can be fined by the "god squad" for excesive noise!

babygurl68, Dec 27, 8:19pm
I use them between the 70 and the 50k zone going into Ngaruawahia from the northern end just so I can rattle those bottles on the shelves at wholesales!

xs1100, Dec 27, 11:20pm
i use them everywere.

horsygirl, Dec 28, 3:07am
after all they are a safety feature.
http://www.youtube.com/watch!v=52byisiatRg

poppajn, Dec 28, 3:13am
You,re crusin for a brusin useing them on ice.

horsygirl, Dec 28, 3:27am
#12.seen them stall a motor on ice.

beney128, Dec 28, 5:33am
Very good! haha Aussies

ebygum1, Dec 28, 5:52am
My engine brakes are permanently engaged,they make very little noise as it's a medium sized truck,they have the most effect when i'm loaded,going downhill,in a lower gear. I live just off Awakino Hill heading into Te Kuiti,the noise starts around 4 in the morning as the trucks come down the hill. Theres nothing like a Mammoth Major with a 600 Detroit to get you fully awake!

beney128, Dec 28, 7:11am
hahaha some trucks in Dunedin must be bloody noisy! on a quite night/ morning i can hear them engine brake down the Northern motorway and im living on the other side of the harbour on Highcliff rd