By truck or rail!

lisajns, Jan 30, 12:24pm
looking at buying a car in Alexandra and just wondering if anyone has any idea regarding cost to get it to Hamilton!Truck or can cars go by rail! trying to find price etc on google for train but got nothing!Any ideas! thanks

mr_lovebug, Jan 30, 12:42pm
Fly down & drive it back.

Not that much in it.

carkitter, Jan 30, 1:00pm
I'd be wary of rail dust, it's nasty stuff staining the paint with fine rust spots that burrow in over time.

nzmax, Jan 30, 2:24pm
My parents recently used rail to get a car from Auckland to Christchurch. Think it cost around $600 and pretty sure it was a similar price to road transport. They were very helpful, very detailed report before loading as to dents, scratches etc, even the odd dirty mark was listed. They called when it was unloaded and ready to collect. No issue with rail dust, although I think it may have been in a proper covered car transporter wagon.

There is no rail link in Alexandra. Closest rail terminal would be Dunedin approx 150km away.

the_chooky, Jan 30, 6:53pm
Why would you buy a car in Alexandra.!
Auckland is just up the road, they must have a million cars for sale.

mrsdoobercoons, Jan 30, 7:46pm
It's really dry down here, only 300mm of rain a year, so cars don't rust, hence there's a lot of older "classic" vehicles in quite good condition around.

illusion_, Jan 30, 7:52pm
thats the one

with the added advantage of being able to walk away should the vehicle not be as presented.

kiwitrader43, Jan 30, 7:53pm
Don't send that distance by rail as it may affect your wheel bearings with the clickety clack vibration over the rail joins. Air bag equipped truck the better option.

lisajns, Jan 30, 9:02pm
Thanks for the great advice.Just thought it might be easier to truck or rail, but looks like it might be easier to fly and drive.THanks again.

gregelz, Jan 30, 11:08pm
May affect your wheel bearings ! I believe that cars are equiped with suspension now days that asorb most bumps plus the track is mostly welded joints on the main trunks. Urban myth me thinks. most new cars were railed around the country during the 80's.

sudsy99, Feb 21, 7:17am
Anyway, trains don't come to Alex, haven't done since the 80"s
You'd still need to get it to Dunedin, then on the train.
Do you want someone down here to have a look first!