Towing a caravan

jojo76, Dec 8, 7:33pm
For those who have towed several caravans, is there really any difference between a 15ft liteweight and a standard caravan! (eg fuel, stabiltiy).
We have a xr6 for towing. Cheers

skyline_guy_r34, Dec 8, 7:37pm
I used to tow a tandem trailer and racecar with spares (probably equalled around 1500kgs all up) with my AU falcon. Fuel was very average on the flats probably around 17-18L per 100kms. Get to the hills and I was looking at around 25L per 100kms.

Stability comes down to how well the caravan is set up for towing. I had no issues with the trailers I used as they were very very well balanced with the racecar on. I could confidently pass trucks etc at around 120kph with no stability issues.

Not sure if this really helps answer your question but thought it was worth a yarn.

mrfxit, Dec 8, 7:58pm
Presuming you are talking about 'pop top" type caravans verses full size
Umm well yes of course theres a difference.
1 is only half height & the other is a full height caravan
Wind resistance is very different (end on AND sideways.)
The overall weight isn't the issue

#1: Weight balance & #2: total height <<<<< thats it in a nut shell
Total weight is the 3rd consideration
Shape of the front is 4th
Tow vehicle equal with all the above options.

jojo76, Dec 8, 7:59pm
Thanks that give me rough estimate on fuel consumption on the 1500kg you were towing.
To be honest though I don't know the weight difference between the 2 caravans.not much info online either :/

jojo76, Dec 8, 8:20pm
sorry i was meaning both them being a full size 15ft caravan.one being a liteweight eg 427474391and this one 427581514

I'll give a caravan sales yard a bell and see if they can help me out :)

juliehall, Dec 8, 8:25pm
Would pay to check the weight as Liteweight is one of the heavier caravans around, I remember my dad commenting on that when they were caravanning.

jojo76, Dec 8, 8:36pm
Yep, dead right there, rung a caravan place and 'liteweight' is basicly a name.not lightweight at all

mrfxit, Dec 8, 8:51pm
I use to build "Lightweight" caravans many years ago & the heaviest part by far was the chassis (full box section/ not square tubing).
Folded panel steel galv channel sidewall framing & alloy sheet sides/roof
Full spec 240V electrical cables
GLASS windows (not that plastic crap)

All good reasons for the weight

No idea on how they build them theses days

thejazzpianoma, Dec 8, 9:09pm
Be wary of some of the "light" caravans (especially ones imported from the U.K) there is a reason they are lighter and its often not a good reason. Some of the imported ones are so badly constructed you struggle for a place to safely jack them up.

mrfxit, Dec 8, 9:15pm
DING.
Light does NOT always equal good or strong

jojo76, Dec 8, 9:31pm
Im looking at NZ ones.late 70's early 80's

kdcentralni, Dec 9, 1:09am
Any kind of towing sucks the juice, you won't find much advantage or a fuel efficient caravan, get a large diesel 4x4 when you update the falcon next.

mm12345, Dec 9, 2:48am
I tow a 2.5 tonne boat with a Safari TD42 non-turbo SWB.Measured fuel use towing (and I go easy) is about 16l/100km, from Chch -> Nelson etc.Owners of similar size boats using 4WD petrol report they use over 25l/100km on that trip.A Falcon or Commodore isn't safe, nor probably legal to tow that weight.But some people do anyway.

m16d, Dec 9, 3:28am
Yer I tow a 1500 Liteweight occasionally. You certainly know its hooked on behind. I find it best to flip the latch on the override brakes when on the flat,otherwise you get a constant "shunting" from the van which is dam annoying and actually slows you down.

vtecintegra, Dec 9, 3:44am
The tow capacity on a modern Falcon is 2300kg braked - pretty sure the older Patrols are only a couple of hundred kgs more.

As for the law I'm pretty sure its a free for all until you get up over 4500kg - manufacturers recommendations are just that recommendations. Scary stuff.

mm12345, Dec 9, 4:41am
Yeah - I just looked, and it seems they changed the regs, actually eased off on the requirement to stay within the manufacturer's towing limit, in a revision on the laws in 2009.Probably it all got too hard to enforce.
As far as the safari goes, not 100% sure.The older Y60 Safaris generally have upgraded brakes (4 wheel disk) over the locally sold Patrol variants. I know the later GUs have a different rating for autos and manuals. My safari (5 speed) has an engineers certification sticker plate on the towbar for 3500kg.
Good to know the newer Falcons are up to 2300kg braked.I know of someone who towed a boat about the size of ours from Chch to Qtown with a V8 Commodore, got a bit enthusiastic on the loud pedal, and couldn't get the back doorsopen when they got there.Not sure if driving back and being easy on the loud pedal but hard on the brakes would have straightened it up.

spottie, Dec 9, 4:45am
I've had a 1500 Liteweight and now have a 16ft Anglo, using a Terrano to tow them. Never noticed any difference in towing either but the extra weight of the 4WD makes a difference on the road compared to a car ( Was using a Commodore wgn for towing before) Height of the Terrano makes it easier as well because you can see through the van so don't need mirror extensions.
As to speed I've done 130 with the Liteweight but was worried about blowing the front screen in.

franc123, Dec 9, 5:23am
Yes aren't they just!The first time I looked underneath one I was appalled at how the thing was built, two channel sections with holes for lightness, a ply floor plonked on top and the axle(s) and drawbar basically holding it all together.When the TopGear crew lift them up by the drawbars and smash them together its hardly surprising that they completely disintegrate.NZ made caravans last for decades, UK made ones are disposable by comparison.

grangies, Dec 9, 7:28am
Not trying to sound rude or negative here.

An XR6 will handle virtually any 15ft caravan stability wise, unless it's hurricane weather.

But.

Why does it really matter what the fuel consumption part of the equation equals!

It's not as though you will have it hooked up to the vehicle very often.

Will $100 more in fuel really matter for a holiday!

kdcentralni, Dec 9, 8:39pm
^^^ As above agree you don't go caravaning to worry about the fuel the destination is the key and money saved on accomodation, don't be such a miser have some beers bbq and a swim and enjoy the great outdoors not the bloody fuel consumption, just saying, the Falcon will use lots probably half a tank for 230k of driving.

jojo76, Dec 10, 7:26am
um, i know that it's not cheap towing a caravan.

My original question was more about the difference between 2 caravans, when it comes to towing a lightweight and a standard caravan, i gave fuel as an example along with stability (stabilty being the main one), my question got anwswerd within the first few comments, i did'nt want to know about wether a falcon is a good tow vehcile, nor did i complain about fuel comsumption!
As usual the thread get's of topic.gees

mrfxit, Dec 10, 8:38am
If you are meaning the difference between 2 FULL size caravans.
On the flat = no real difference
On Hills = more weight = slower climb = more fuel used
However>>>
Between full size & half height (pop top types), yes there can be a very noticeable difference between maintaining speeds / hill climbing / fuel usage / wind & cornering stability