Nissan Patrol SWB for towing.

Page 1 / 2
lolliepop3, Sep 23, 10:35am
I'm looking for something to tow my pony (400-450kg ish) around the Waikato, float is a heavy old thing, sit's REALLY nicely on the road, tows like a dream with Dad's 3L Terrano, would a SWB 4.2L Patrol (4WD) be any good for towing the pony around with! I'm not looking at towing long distance or anything, Dad will do that for me, I'm just looking for something that's good for running around to work and all that, will just be towing on the odd occasion, not likely every weekend or anything! I'm just assuming it's SWB as it's 3 door as opposed to their bigger 5 door, but to be honest it doesn't look all that much shorter than Dad's Terrano, and would no doubt be a heavier vehicle. Opinions!

lolliepop3, Sep 23, 10:37am
If not, does anyone have any suggestions of something that I would be able to get for under 6k, don't mind something old, pref. auto (I know, I know, manual is better for towing, but I'm more comfortable with auto and will be safer for all road users this way), ATLEAST 3L, that's safe and will drag the pony around! Not really interested in Toyota Surfs or Isuzu Big Horns etc.

mopeds, Sep 23, 10:43am
Landrover Discovery V8 is a cheap SUV, you'd get a nice one for 6K

lolliepop3, Sep 23, 10:45am
V8 = Petrol though yeh! Probably be a bit expensive for towing.

lolliepop3, Sep 23, 10:46am
Yeaa, just had a look, only diesels were 2.5L :(

spottie, Sep 23, 10:54am
I think you will find that the Patrol is the better of the two for towing, they tow really well.

mopeds, Sep 23, 10:54am
In terms of low mileage and reliability 6K is not going to get much of either in a diesel SUV

richard198, Sep 23, 10:55am
4.2L Patrols would have to be one of the best tow tractors around along with Landcruisers.

lolliepop3, Sep 23, 11:01am
I'm not worried about low milage - happy with anything up to 300,000km, I'm just looking for a steady workhorse for towing the pony, I wouldn't be doing a whole lot of road tripping or anything. As it's been explained to me diesel SUVs will go on to around 500,000km no sweat anyways.

I just read that "at 14ft 7in even the short-wheelbase three-door model is nearly as long as a Land Rover Discovery, and at 16ft 5in the long-wheelbase is in the supersize league of off-roaders" so perhaps this isn't SO short anyway! I'm looking at a few different LWB models of other brands to see how it compares.

lolliepop3, Sep 23, 11:07am
As for reliability, I know Patrols are more than reliable at an old age - I have several friends towing horses and 4WDing ancient Patrols that they just can't kill, my main concern in whether the SWB will handle towing.

mopeds, Sep 23, 11:21am
Anything will go forever if you through enough money at it, buying a 500,000 kms diesel SUV is a false economy

richard198, Sep 23, 11:21am
How many yesses do you need!

lolliepop3, Sep 23, 11:27am
Haha - Richard, I'm yet to have anyone tell me "Yes a SWB is good for towing", it's not the Patrol bit I'm worried about - more the SWB, I don't know anyone who tows with one hence my reluctancy. But the one I've seen is a great deal which is why I'm wanting to know if anyone's towed with the *SWB*

franc123, Sep 24, 12:03pm
Being SWB isn't a problem, just go ahead and do it, you are making the right decision.Bear in mind that sadly getting a good one for $6K is going to be a wee bit of a challenge, its the absolute bottom end for Patrols/Safari's.You will come across 3.0 petrol and 2.8TD versions around that money which are best avoided for several reasons, it'd be worth asking Dad to chip in a little if needed when you come across a decent 4.2 diesel, it will be worth it in the long run.Good luck

lolliepop3, Sep 24, 12:14pm
I've found a '92, diesel, SWB (I think! It's 3 door!), 4.2L, 4WD Patrol, only 225,000km, for $4500ono, and it's local, so I'm thinking we'll go and have a look at it and see how stacks up, thanks Franc123 :)

pico42, Sep 24, 1:03pm
A SWB patrol will tow just fine.

r15, Sep 24, 1:56pm
keep in mind the 4.2 non turbo will be mighty slow compared to a 3 litre turbo terrano(assuming the one you have found is non turbo as it sounds cheap for turbo)

lolliepop3, Sep 24, 8:49pm
If I could stretch to 10k then I would be buying a LWB old Patrol :P
I am gonna talk to the bank though, see if I can stretch the budget a little.

hotrodtodd1, Sep 24, 8:50pm
I have towed a loaded racecar trailer with a SWB Patrol 4.2 and it will do what you want with no issues. Yours is probably under 1100kgs to tow

franc123, Sep 24, 9:09pm
Go and look at that ASAP!

twit7, Sep 24, 9:29pm
yip good tow wagon. i use my patrol for towing large car trailer with ease bit slow up hill with a load on but does it so easy and can keep up with the cars at 100 k on the flats i only paid 5000 $ for mine and i have done some long runs towing and its just so nice to drive on long trips

lolliepop3, Sep 24, 10:15pm
Dad's gone to look at it while he's over that way this morning, should hear his prognosis soon!
Thanks for all of your help!

msigg, Sep 25, 1:02am
no problems with that patrol for towing, it has a lot of weight in itself, Ive seen many large boats and horse floats being towed buy these. one of the best, but not super fast, but steady and reliable.

jonthefisho, Sep 25, 1:12am
If the Patrol is an Auto.
Make sure you fit an aftermarket trans oil cooler.
The temperature will be alot better off.
I fitted mine for less than $100 well worth it.

billfisher1, Sep 25, 6:38am
Used to have a SWB patrol that I towed my 2t boat around. Bit slow on the hills, moved up to a 3ltr Prado to tow the same boat. Prado is now for sale on here for not much more than 10k.