Cheap race/street car to buy when in australia!

skyline_guy_r34, Dec 14, 2:22am
Im off to perth in february to live. I used to race a mazda rx7 s1 in the pro7 class here. Im thinking in a couple of years I will buy a racecar once I have settled myself in and buy all my tools etc again. For now though, I am thinking I will need to buy a car that will be reliable enough for around town, but a blast to take to Barbagallo probably once a month.

Obviously im looking for something fun, doesnt need to be overly quick. Around 200hp/1200kgs or 300hp/1600kgs. So somewhere around that power to weight ratio. Reliability is a must. Have thought of turbos but not really too sure on that one. Have thought of an mx5 for pure handling aspect. but not interested. Currently thinking of a circa 2000 v8 commodore with some suspension work.

Whats your opinions/options you can come up with it!

kcf, Dec 14, 2:26am
Rock on over there, and watch to see what's racing over there.

Because chances are, if it's common as muck on the track, then that's probably what you want to buy.

Plus of course you can find out what category of racing looks like fun close racing, as compared to being a pack of car wrecking meatballs.

skyline_guy_r34, Dec 14, 2:29am
Thats the long term plan once i settle down. But for now trying to decide on a car that i can buy for just track days and as my daily driver.

There is a lot of elevation change on Barbagallo so It makes me want to rule out the slightly less powerful cars. Thats why i think the v8 would be a ball, yeah they dont handle the flashest, but they have plenty of grin factor and they are so easy to keep slightly out of line.

foxdonut, Dec 14, 5:46am
How much money are you spending.

skyline_guy_r34, Dec 15, 10:18pm
Terribly sorry thought i put that at the end of my post.

Looking at spending upto $9000AUD. That is about how much ill have spare for this until I can manage to sell my rx7 racecar here in NZ which may be months and months after I move to Perth

foxdonut, Dec 15, 11:39pm
Have you lived here before!

That'll get you a poverty spec ex government Falcon with about 90k on the dial if you're lucky.

If you want a daily driver that you can take to a track (and then take home, as opposed to leave there, seized and dead) you need about double your budget, and even thats a dicey proposition.

try pickles.com.au for ex government stuff.

andy_babe, Dec 16, 1:00am
um i think you really go for the mx5 they are a superb car that sounds like it will suit you.

foxdonut, Dec 16, 1:44am
Good luck getting a decent MX5 for 9 grand.

fordcrzy, Dec 16, 3:10am
escpecially is australia.they are AT LEAST twice the price of the ones over here

wrong2, Dec 16, 3:16am
it could be worse, he could be on his way to england