LVV cert. requirements for lowered car

Page 1 / 2
nick91111, Dec 14, 5:26am
I went to my local garage today and asked about my car getting a warrant. Apparently they can fail me as I have lowered it more than 50mm than factory height! I have 75mm superlow springs on standard shocks currently. I thoughtthe 100mm from lowest part of the car's chassis was the only height requirement before an LVV cert was required! Reason being I have superlow springs that are uncaptive in the rear and deciding what to do, whether shorten factory shocks, buy aftermarket shortened or go adjustable. I already have the superlow springs so don't want to have to buy adjustables etc as well. Any input would be great!

phillip.weston, Dec 14, 5:30am
so how high is the chassis from the ground! if it's less than 100mm then it's cert time. If your springs are uncaptive then it's a WOF/cert fail regardless. I'm assuming that the springs offer a supposed 75mm drop, or am I reading it incorrectly and that your chassis is in fact 75mm from the ground! Anyway if you're above 100mm then I would just make the springs captive by shortening the shock inserts or fitting shorter shocks (if shocks are separate from springs). What make/model are we talking about here!

kazbanz, Dec 14, 5:31am
Go get a LVV cert

nick91111, Dec 14, 5:33am
You assume correct on the supposed drop of 75mm. I have yet to measure the height from chassis to ground, might just clear it! I hope. 1995 Nissan Cefiro A32.

phillip.weston, Dec 14, 5:35am
why on earth would you want to lower an A32 by 75mm! I hope you've done something to correct the excess camber/toe from that drop on otherwise standard suspension and geometry settings! I can understand a 35-50mm drop but 75mm is dropping its ride height in half pretty much. You need to measure the lowest point of the chassis from the ground in order to answer whether you need a cert or not. Even if you don't need a cert, you will definitely need to fix uncaptive springs.

nick91111, Dec 14, 5:41am
I intend to get 30% uprated GT gas shortened shocks all around for the best performance etc.

nick91111, Dec 14, 5:43am
Oh and I have never heard of the if lowered more than 50mm lower from factory requiring a cert

nick91111, Dec 14, 5:43am
PLEASE NOTE EDITED ORIGINAL POST. LOWERED 45-50MM SUPPOSED DROP!

phillip.weston, Dec 14, 5:52am
I was just going to say. I don't think I've seen any aftermarket replacement springs offer a 75mm drop, most are around 35-45mm advertised. If indeed 45-50mm then I would say you would be fine so long as you make the springs captive.

nick91111, Dec 14, 5:53am
Ok the front crossmember sits about 85-90 mm from the ground. I have smaller tyres on the front so maybe bigger tyres, more air in them and hope for the best. I have had lowered cars before and sat this low, and never seen them measured for height

phillip.weston, Dec 14, 5:53am
it also doesn't look lowered that much. I would run with wider rims or put bolt on spacers behind those rims to push them out into the guards a little as it's got that whole 'tucked in' look going about it.

phillip.weston, Dec 14, 5:56am
it's not exactly a boy racer 'pull me over' kind of car and perhaps wont get much attention when it comes to a WOF unless it's silly low.

This is my old E54A Galant which I lowered with E74A VR-4 lowering springs which made it sit approx 90mm at its lowest point, and I never had trouble with WOFs or the police, even though it was technically illegal.

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l230/te71se/93%20Galant%20VX-R/DSCF0497.jpg

nick91111, Dec 14, 5:58am
Yeah I only lowered it as it sat ridiculously high on 17's with factory suspension! So was purely cosmetic. Looks a lot nicer.

nick91111, Dec 14, 6:02am
My old primera sat about the same also, and it didn't look stupidly low, so always gained a warrant and never got pulled over. This cefiro has been pulled over only for checkpoints etc, and cops look at it, check the WOF which I got before the springs and no worries!

kazbanz, Dec 14, 6:02am
I'd be asking the garage EXACTLYon what grounds you require a LVV
is it the height or s it the uncaptive springs!
But I still suspect my first suggestion ends up being the easiest option

nick91111, Dec 14, 6:08am
It would be the height. They uncaptive springs will obviously fail. I can either secure the springs (e,g weld brackets to axle) which would require a cert.

zephyrheaven, Dec 14, 7:21am
Another $400 tax for someone to tell you the job you have done is correct

What a joke

kazbanz, Dec 14, 7:51am
Um--you say "would be" -byt hat do you nmean you havent been told !

zephyrheaven, Dec 14, 7:55am
smash a tui over your head immediatly

pico42, Dec 14, 11:39am
I recall reading somewhere online that you may now need to show the arc of unsprung suspension to the certifier as part of the certification process now. Ie they inspect the suspension travel without springs to check for bump steer.

May have been on off road expresss.

shuddupowh, Dec 14, 1:29pm
I've never heard of a WOF agent trying to say "any lower than 50mm needs a cert". No such rule. Only need cert if: lowest structural point is less than 100mm or adjustable suspension or airbags or hydrolics. Otherwise no cert required for plain lowering springs. Unless you do some other mods to the suspension which are seperate from the above.

mrfxit, Dec 14, 9:36pm
Perceptions of a (insert name for a suitable pimply faced wannabe knowitall& everybodyelsknowsNOTHING dweeb) teenager/ young "adult"

LMAO . oh my , how the fashions & attitudes change over time . NOT (by much)

mrfxit, Dec 14, 9:41pm
Only the cost /frivolous nature & lethalness of those mods seem to change

girlracer2005, Dec 14, 11:33pm
mrfxit at least they are asking qustions and trying work the right way of trying to sort this out !

74nova, Dec 15, 1:44am
From what I've been told by a cert guy when you get a cert for a lowered car the car can be as low as it wants aslong as if you were to get a flat tyre no part of the underside of the car can touch the ground. Every body still uses this 100mm rule and it's a load of bollocks. Even the police haven't got a clue about what you can and cant do. If it's been certed it's legal! I've heard stories of cops still giving out tickets even when it's got a cert cause they still use the 100mm rule.