So I want to buy a new car.

Page 4 / 4
thejazzpianoma, Dec 17, 9:47am
Quite right, as I mentioned above you need to go for a regular manual one and there are a few other tricks to buying a good one as well. If it becomes a serious contender I am more than happy to offer my expertise and write you a bit of a buyers guide OP.

The good news with the Alfa is that really the only unreliable bit is the selespeed transmission, so all you do is buy a regular manual one and you have a really excellent reliable car.

That said, selespeeds do get more of a bad rap than they deserve and most problems can be fixed by replacing external parts (as opposed to stripping the transmission), but for someone like poster 1 its just not worth going there.

I think if the OP and her Mum got a kick out of driving/travelling in one and Mum can get in and out O.K its not that silly a proposition at all. There is even one serious practical advantage to the Alfa, and that is unlike a Toyota most are enthusiast owned so there is a good number of really well maintained examples around.

My only concerns with the Alfa are how easy it is for Mum to get in and out and the amount of space in the back. they are a wagon but there is not as much space as you might expect back there. But then if its only the two of you folding the seat down should be an option.

BTW poster 1, being a local if you find an Alfa or a VW around here that you want an opinion on I am more than happy to take a look for you. No charge, happy to help out. Only proviso is that I am free at the time, as I do have a few projects on.

27pukeko, Dec 17, 6:30pm
thanks - there is so much choice out there - the hard thing is finding those low sils and higher seats on a nice looking car for a reasonable price!
Gone off the voltz as there were not many made so spare parts would be a nightmare - quite like the look of the mitsi airtrek turbo.

kazbanz, Dec 18, 1:31am
pukeko--I have another suggestion for you. Have a look at the NEW toyota spacio. Higher seats. plenty of room. FANTASSTIC rep for reliablity
Yes it is a 7 (ish) seater but my father in law never has the back seats up and swears by his

27pukeko, Dec 18, 2:35am
Had a look at a few golf sw today but from what I can tell the seats would be too difficult to get Ma in and out of.
Took an Airtrek for a test drive - 2003 NZ new model.Ma was having a very bad day mobiltiy wise and I still managed to get her in and out quite easily.

stevo2, Dec 18, 6:30am
Hard finding the perfect car eh!
Please let us all know what you do buy.

27pukeko, Dec 18, 6:21pm
HI Stevo, I am thinking of going with the airtrek.The 2wd 2litre model, and NZ new.Ma was able to get in and out on a really bad day (havent seen her that bad in ages - it was like she was pissed).

thejazzpianoma, Dec 19, 3:26am
Hi again,
I would suggest you start a thread asking for Philip Westons opinion on the Airtrek, he is the Mitsubishi Guru on here.
Not my cup of tea to be honest (the Airtrek not Philip, hes a good bugger) but Philip will have a better idea. Philip is good as he is completely non-biased. He knows and owns Mitsi's but he won't hesitate to tell you if one is not up to snuff.

Good you tried the Golf, I would say that rules the Alfa out too as its even lower if anything.

The Touran and possiby the Golf Plus would likely still suit though as they have the higher seats. I know the Touran dosn't look much but its light years ahead of the rest of the stuff as a car (better and more advanced than what most manufacturers are selling brand new).

So you have to decide really, whats more important looks or function. Not trying to sway you either way, you have to drive and pay for it not me. Just pointing out the less obvious that dosn't come apparent until later.

There is always the Multipla too. function + style!

27pukeko, Dec 19, 5:32am
thanks will start a thread about airtreks :o)

I guess when you have been driving a 92 Nissan sentra with a crooked seat for 3 years anything is gonna feel better!

thejazzpianoma, Dec 19, 5:37am
Sure, I can see where you are coming from!
Its just that you are spending a lot of money and some cars in the price range will offer you a lot more than others. Ultimately though its just got to make you happy.