Opinions on buying a bmw 320i

Page 1 / 2
missy_j.c, Dec 18, 9:42pm
hi there, can people please tell me if bmws are good cars or not, and cheap to own etc etc , just some general opinions would be fantastic please :)

scoobeey, Dec 18, 9:43pm
DONT lol

vtecintegra, Dec 18, 9:45pm
How old!

Anyway I'd tend to look for one with a larger engine (325i/328i/330i) - fuel economy should be bugger all different and they're much nicer to drive.

missy_j.c, Dec 18, 9:48pm
1995 bmw.

missy_j.c, Dec 18, 9:49pm
found one that we quiet like, but dont want to buy it if they are prone to problems etc etc

foxdonut, Dec 18, 10:45pm
They're prone to sucking.

(Yes, I owned one)

Economy: Rubbish
Power: Nil
Brakes: Lol
Servicing: Average to high

Common faults:
Radiator pops when impellor fails
Headlining will fall apart

Mine had a diff that packed a sad and the horn died too.

If you want "cheap" then consider if an old, heavy car that needs premium gas and 200 dollars a corner tyres is the right choice.

Stay away from the 318 as well, they're just as crap.

mugenb20b, Dec 18, 11:34pm
Yes, very good, very safe and smooth.when they are new. Once they get a bit old, who knows! Otherwise, if you are looking at a BMW, I would suggest you get a late model 330i.

sw20, Dec 18, 11:41pm
Don't buy a 320i.

You get 325i fuel consumption with 318i performance.

vtecnet, Dec 19, 12:49am
I just purchased an E39 528i, used to have an E36 320i a few years back, the 5 Series is much better built from what I can tell and I get about the same fuel economy as I did then.

elect70, Dec 19, 12:53am
325 much better, if set on 320 make sure get 6 cylinder 1. Ok provided hadregular maintenance & NZ new

foxdonut, Dec 19, 1:12am
The 320 (1995 = E36) only came in a 2 litre six cylinder (M50).

150ish horse in the Vanos model (92 onwards, pre 92 cars had the non Vanos engine) Actually not a bad engine for racing since it was so massive with such a small displacement, in the road car though it is woefully underpowered to move a 4 speed ZF / Jatco (depending on the serial number) auto weighing in at an embarrassingly heavy 1500+ kilos dry (4 door).

male_timaru, Dec 19, 8:28am
chain driven engine is supposedly better of the e36 m4X based shape engines - but i must say i have (and love) a 318i and despite it not being the fastest car off the blocks (alright downright slow lol) it has great economy on the open roads and plenty of overtaking power

I found the 320i more guzzly and at almost 250kgs heavier as well it did not serve my purpose for round town ride economy

The 318ti is a nice wee car in the 94-96 trim and i know a lot of people who have had no issues whatsoever with theirs - i am trying to swap my 4dr sedan (which i'm selling after having just carried out a trans service, full service otherwise and 2 new tyres) for the ti as i want something i can pop my rear seats down in or a wagon to pop stuff into

boot is great size but not suitable shape wise for the equipment i buy and carry around as a pt (i sometimes cart around spin bikes, treadmills, etc)

foxdonut, Dec 19, 9:40am
That's the other thing, no folding rear seat.

As above, 325 or don't bother. Really you'd be better off with a Honda accord or the same vintage. A far superior car in every regard except aesthetics - because ill grant the e36 its one merit, its not a bad looking car.

franc123, Dec 19, 9:53am
Most of them of the age you are looking at are getting to the point where they need a fair bit of cash to keep them on the road, there are plenty of badly maintained dogs out there that are waiting to bite someone.Make sure you get whatever you are looking at checked out properly by someone who's familiar with E36's and knows what to look for.As with all vehicles a good look at both the cooling system and the auto trans fluid/operation are good general indicators as to how its REALLY been treated and maintained, the cooling systems are full of plastic fittings that go brittle and break over time and can be pricey to get changed as some are in awkward places.The interior trim, especially the roof lining and door panels on the early ones were crap and while obviously it doesn't affect how they drive it makes them look scruffy and makes them harder to sell again in the future.I would definitely get a 325 at the minimum as the others have said.

bmwnz, Dec 19, 11:54am
I'd add in the potential for a new steering rack (around $1200 fitted) also. They're getting a bit long in the tooth now. I wouldn't look at any BMW over 5 years old myself. If I still had one, I'd sell it before it reached 8-9 years old. However, please consider my opinion in light of my distaste for old cars.

male_timaru, Dec 19, 12:23pm
Until i tried the E36 + versions I would have said you were right, but i found the e36 325 quite cumbersome and slow (even compared to my 'slug' of a 318!)and watched the fuel gauge disappear before my very eyes - so i'd love to know what 325's people have tried - NO plates please!I viewed over 40 BMW's in the last 9 months (mostly 323 and 325 models to look at 'upgrading' from my 318 as i had been advised numerous times to do so - but had decided (until now as i really need a wagon again for my business) to keep my 318i over all the others!

sw20, Dec 19, 4:45pm
Or go the 328i.

They are quite thirsty about town, but bloody frugal on the open road. The 318i is a bloody joke, just buy a Corolla, it will be quicker and you will get your money back when you sell it!

ferita, Dec 19, 4:58pm
A new one would be ok but the older ones are full of problems.

footplate1, Dec 19, 10:14pm
I have owned a few Beamers over the years.My first was a 525i (1984) and I survived its spinning down a bank from an oil slick on the motorway north of Dunedin.The medic pointed out that, if I had been in a rice-burner, I would have been dead.Have stuck with Beamers ever since.Worst was 1991 320i - a nut bent the cam shaft and destroyed the water-jacket.BMw paid for the parts but I had to pay for the labour.Next worst was a low-slung 1991 Jap import.Cost me heaps - including the dash board cluster.Current M330 (2004) is the best yet.Pulls like a school boy on the open road and rides comfortably.but, after driving my wife's old Escudo rund town, the next Beamer will be an MX5.(in my dreams!)
I do agree that servicing can be expensive but you don't always have to use the agents for routine work.
Beamers for me!And always six cylinders or more.Wouldn't touch a 318.

michael.benn, Dec 19, 10:25pm
I'd sooner go 325 or 328. 318's and 320's are gutless as. Not worth the time of day.

I find the 328's can be a bit thirsty around town but fantastic on the open road.

bmwnz, Dec 19, 11:01pm
Bearing in mind this thread is asking for opinions, my opinion is that I'd rather have a 318i than a 320i anyday. However, I prefer a 330 in the 3 series. I actually enjoyed my E39 528i the most to drive though.

mugenb20b, Dec 19, 11:12pm
*shakes head*

richardmayes, Dec 19, 11:29pm

ginga4lyfe, Dec 20, 1:36am
If only I had a e30 rolling shell, I'd be super quick to replace the steering rack with a z3 rack and pop a vn/vp commy engine in with a t5 manual box, that would make for a fun ecconomical car!

male_timaru, Dec 20, 10:20pm
why!

it's a lovely car to drive - just slow off the mark - really nice at cruising speeds and DOES go wooosh when need to on open roads