SJ50QT Oil Pump and lots of smoke

triggerfox, Dec 19, 11:16pm
My scooter exhausts far more smoke than normal when I first start it for the day. I am convinced it's oil circulation, because when I checked my oil levels two weeks after I half refilled it, it's almost empty again. I don't think it should be used up that fast!
I'm sure all that oil leaking into the engine is what makes it difficult to start, even after only three days of no use.
Do I need a new oil pump or is there a way to adjust the pump, like on old scooters!

patch61, Dec 20, 6:19am
Just use premix mate. Forget the seperate oil container.

doriandarby, Dec 20, 6:29am
There's no adjuster on these oil pumps I'm afraid.You could go the premix route, but the pumps are pretty easy to change if you have the tools.

scoobeey, Dec 20, 6:36pm
no chinese by any chancelol

jsbike, Dec 20, 8:26pm
the cable is adjustable.

doriandarby, Dec 20, 10:58pm
The SJ50's dont have a cable to the oil pump - they are regulated only by engine speed.

jsbike, Dec 21, 12:02am
wellnever! I stand corrected if its true!

triggerfox, Dec 21, 9:36am
No it's not a Chinese scooter, its a Japanese Suzuki 2006 SJ50QT.

So do any of you think the smoking could be caused by something else!

mm12345, Dec 21, 9:59am
I don't know anything about the scooter, but have done some work on suzuki 2 stroke oil-injected motors (outboards mainly).If the pump is driven from the crankshaft via a worm drive on a shaft, then there's a seal on the drive to the pump, and if that is worn and leaks, 2 stroke oil will gravity feed back down through the seal and into the crankcase, causing the symptoms you describe.
I tend to favour disconnecting the oil injection system and using premix.But there's a risk that if you just disconnect the pump, then it will eventually seize from running dry, and cause big problems.If you remove the pump, then the worm-driven shafts rattle badly - not good IMO, so also remove the pump drive shaft, make up a plate from some alloy to cover the hole where the pump was, bolt it back down with a gasket under it.Another solution may be open up the pump, remove the centre cylinder which is gear-driven from the shaft coupling, pack the inside of the pump with grease, and put the cover back on the pump - that way it's unlikely to seize.The pumps I've seen are (IIRC) Mikuni.Actually not that expensive, and pretty simple to replace if you want to keep oil-injection.

kazbanz, Dec 21, 7:26pm
smokey sj50 and in two weeks of rinding the oil level is down --sounds normal to me. Whens the last time the zorst was decoked! -Have you been riding further !

praxxis, Dec 24, 3:35am
I wonder what affect it has on the oil pump if there is no oil being feed to it, if youjust start using pre-mix. Is mm12345 suggesting that the pump will seize, or the motor will seize! By the way, what ratio of two stroke mix would you use in a scooter like this!

guest, Nov 20, 1:00am
If the vin starts with Js or somthing it comes from japan. lc=china 5saa= usa Suzuki come from a few others as well. Sj50oil. use good quality two stroke oil made for injection systems and not oil for two stoke out boards.