Roof lining hanging down

Page 1 / 2
ladeda, Feb 8, 6:26pm
What can you do! It's come right away and hanging down in the back corner of the wagon. Is there a glue or product to stick it back up!

johnf_456, Feb 8, 7:07pm
holden! They are good at sagging

dr.doolittle, Feb 8, 7:28pm
And the quick-fix is!Da, da ,tadarrrr.

phillip.weston, Feb 8, 8:49pm
I managed to fix up my MkIII Golf roof lining for less than $50, the materials cost $40ish (two cans of spray on contact adhesive, 2m x 3m of fabric from spotlight, was close enough to the original colour/pattern) but I would have spent about a good 2-3 hours of my time on it.

ejclark, Feb 8, 9:14pm
just get spray on adhesive and poke a small hole in the hoodlining and spray around in a few spots then push it back up to stick.

unideck, Feb 8, 10:23pm
And a great job it was too on the VR6, kids loved rubbing grubby fingers all over it tehe. Hey if you want you can come and do the same on the Discovery here, year 2000 and its dropped, some guy blobbed contact on it and made it so bad it now needs replacing but what a job. Come on Phil you know its the job for you hahahaha

bob1088, Feb 8, 11:57pm
any good auto upholsterer can fix it or replace it - if it`s a cheap car DIY is OK but if a late model you may want a prof. job.

unideck, Feb 9, 12:07am
Phil is the man :) but I know it will take a fair few hours just to remove the lining, so many clip, covers, twin sunroof etc etc etc. Recon it will be about the $400 mark but hey, wont need to be done again. Discovery's are notorious for this, shame really as its a series 2 and one would have thought they would have sorted this age old problem by now given BMW owned them when mine was built!

bigracket, Feb 9, 2:25am
And Discos are a pig to do cos of all the crap like map holders and other plastic crap. If the cars a station wagon its easier cos you can just pull the whole panel out the back door, cars a bit more of a pain trying to get them back in through the door. The problem is the foam backing breaks down, rather than the actual glue coming away. Gluing it back up with a can of spray glue just wont last.

quickstitch, Feb 9, 2:59am
get it done professionally, i would offer you a good cash rate but your a bit far away. those DIY jobs don't last, and make more work for a trimmer when they go to fix it up the right way. i have seen some pinned up, stapled up, one guy got inventive and tryed to syringe glue up, glued with aerosol glue and brush glue.and they all end up in a car trimmers workshop. The lady who pinned her BMW headlining up made a real good job, she did it in a diamond pattern, and gave it that deep buttoned affect.

unideck, Feb 9, 4:59am
quickstitch, make a weekend of it, we have guest accommodation here, stay over and go dig away at Hot Water Beach when your done :) we'v a mega BBQ and sure the fridge will hold a few extra beers for you no problem.

quickstitch, Feb 9, 5:34am
lol, that was directed at the original poster (in Nelson). A headlinig is the sort of job i would only do in my workshop, big clean bench and a grunty compressor. And to be honest, if you headlining is the one i'm thinking of i would probably pass on it. they are a challenge, alot of shape, and because they are so deep, the fabric only just reaches the side, no room for error. last time we did one, we had to search far and wide to find a fabric wide enough, and i have a feeling we can't get that fabric anymore.

ladeda, Feb 9, 6:35am
How did you know! LOL

ladeda, Feb 9, 6:41am
Throw away car, just want it stuck back up and out of the way so we can see out the back window. Second tow car but the "new" '03 Falcon is such a piece of ^%$# that I've resurrected the Commodore to live another day. The steering column surround has fallen off and I have two new buttons under the dash that have painted labels "horn" and "wash" above them. It's done 300k on the clock but still going strong.if only I could see out the back window.

Any brand names for the spray adhesive!

ladeda, Feb 9, 6:44am
Hubby is a painter and he wants to sand the foam away and paint the ceiling! He's the DIY from hell.

twink19, Feb 9, 6:51am
when you get older every thing hangs down

johnf_456, Feb 9, 7:13am
I see it far too often on holdens , on what some people perceive them as a perfect car.

quickstitch, Feb 9, 7:23am
holdens are the second worse for this problem, number one is the quality BWM. do at least one a month, and on a good month 3 or 4

shark574, Feb 9, 8:02am
Have a toyota camry wagan with the same problem. Are you interested in replacing roof lining. cheers.

ladeda, Feb 9, 8:38am
Can you not just stick it back onto the foam!

Hubby doesn't own a spray unit - he hires them when needed. If we are to go to the hassle of scraping the foam off, then he will literally just paint it with two coats of acrylic gloss Dulux X10 self priming . He will even do a different colour around the lights, LOL.

The car will never be sold - next stop will be the wreckers.

quickstitch, Feb 9, 8:44am
no, as someone mentioned above, its the foam that is crumbling and falling apart, not the glue that has let go. and the fabric usually stretches when hanging down so it wont glue up in the original location so none of the holes will line up. Hubby can just spraypaint the board, but the board has perforated holes in it and will look cheap and nasty, but it has to be better than the fabric sitting on ya head while driving

mopar63, Feb 9, 8:47am
same thing in my '97 falcon wagon , I just got the staple gun out, fixed in a minute

im_andrew, Feb 9, 8:53am
If you dont care, why dont you just pin it up or pull it off!

ladeda, Feb 9, 9:00am
SO a staple gun will work! Is there wooden board under the foam (finally getting what you guys are trying to say)! I assumed it would be metal under the foam.

The whole corner has come loose and is hanging down. Masking tape doesn't work for long.

im_andrew, Mar 30, 4:01pm
Yeah there is stiff cardboard behind the fabric