Roof Racks for Kayaks

shelleigh, Oct 31, 11:33pm
We're getting a couple of kayaks with a combined weight of under 40kg.
Have a Corolla wagon which I'm updating next year for another small wagon (probably a Mk5 Golf) so would be great to get a pair of racks that can fit both. I'm wanting the ones that have the fittings that fit under the top of where the doors shut rather than ones that are bolted on the roof.
What do people recommend please!

gusthe1, Nov 1, 2:22am
I have never used the fitting you are after but I would not recommend kayak cradles from Torpedo 7. I had a pair and as well as a whistling from the bars the kayak ripped the cradles from the bars after 3 trips. They were refunded but I went to Thules and have had no poblems. My Kayaks were 4.0m long so there is some pressure on the racks from the wind.

johnn, Nov 1, 2:47am
Buy a roofrack that has changable feet, repco & supercheap sell roofracks &kayak cradles to suit so go check them out there. I just sold a set of cradles auction 418639856, the buyer just wanted the cradles so I am selling the roofrack now but as I said you would need to get different feet to fit your car. I think the footpacks are about $25 & as you said they clip under where the door closes & the main weight sits on the rubber pads on the roof of the car. Also check the length of rack you would need to hold 2 kayaks side by side, on my car I have 1500mm long as my kayaks are quite wide. They are not cheap, if you buy new the kayak cradles will cost about $250 per kayak & the roofrack will probably be around $200, look on Trademe as people are always selling them.

shelleigh, Nov 1, 8:52am
Thanks - am definitely not getting cradles as I am going to have the kayaks on their sides as less wind drag than on their butts.
Have priced roof racks at Repco and also Toyota dealer - both sell Prorack model for about $480

whqqsh, Nov 1, 4:39pm
used to be able to buy 'Wrap Racks' from the surf shops, I had a pair for my wave ski. Webbing bands that clip onto your roof gutters then loop around the boards or whatever & pull tight (with tie down type devices). Always worked well for me.

shelleigh, Nov 2, 6:57am
Thanks Whqqsh but those wrap racks look pretty flimsly for a couple of kayaks. I need racks as will be putting skiis on top too.
Have decided to get a pair of Prorack Whispbars as they are lockable and hopefully will fit my next wagon.

xs1100, Nov 2, 8:30am
try cheviot out in penrose they do the rola range of roof rack

mongolia1, Nov 2, 8:39am
Are you intending to carry sea kayaks or river kayaks!Personally I would look for a wagon with roof rails - many more options for bars and much more secure fixing to the car than any roof rack.Two 5m+ sea kayaks can exert a lot of upward pressure - always a good idea to have a strap from the front of each one to the front towing point of the car (behind the front bumper).

shelleigh, Nov 2, 11:31pm
Thanks xs1100 but have ordered the Whispbars :)
Mongolia we're getting Mission Squirt/MDK river kayaks and will be mounting them on their sides to reduce upward pressure.
Will probably get the Prorack kayak holder for two kayaks.

shelleigh, Jan 26, 1:11am
Well got the Whispbars and the Prorack kayak stands on okay BUT the damn garage door needs to be about two inches higher!
So am going to have to get cradles as I don't want to be taking the stands off every time we go kayaking.