Mini roofs. Any one tried taking a mini roof off any great difficult trapsneed to take one off one to put on a another body

jrlaw, Jun 8, 7:57am
Any one tried taking a Mini roof off, any great difficult traps!need to take one off one to put on a another body.

jono2912, Jun 8, 12:20pm
How do you cut the fur on my dog! What's the right style.

jrlaw, Jun 9, 12:08am
Yes, A new roof is costed out to be about $1000 x England. So I wondered if one could remove a good one off and refit it from a bad one. Or maybe need to get a good panel beater.No 2 message very helpful Yea right!

rob_man, Jun 11, 8:43am
Have you cut & welded a Mini roof before Andy!

carmedic, Jun 11, 9:08am
I think I??

smac, Jun 11, 9:25am
Ya down the pillars is the way to go. But I'd do a bunch of steel patching around the gutters before I considered doing the whole roof. How bad is it!

rob_man, Jun 12, 2:54am
I remember them being a right prick of a thing to get at because the gutters are so restricted and that continuous weld they used to fix the turret is near impossible to split apart. It needs to be entirely ground away which is going to be a challenge if you want to use the turret again.
Through the pillars might be the answer.

attitudedesignz, Jun 12, 3:06am
Yep, brace 'er up and do it through the pillars mate.

jrlaw, Jun 12, 8:03am
Thanks for your help. My good friend the retired panel beater is going to reshape the roof and then putting a thin layer of some goo on it and sand it up to look good.I trusted with my first Mini and it came up real cool.I have a good generally rust free body but someone had bent the roof and bogged it. I have the roof lining out so it should be O.K. Thanks for that again.

gunhand, Jun 12, 8:07am
Retired panelbeaters are good, they know stuff. Assuming he's an old retired beater of course.

lookoutas, Jun 7, 5:03pm
Jeez - I can remember repairing the turret's of rolled over Mini's with no bog!
If ya did happen to painstakingly pluck the old turret out and finish up with a usable secondhand one, I would recommend to panelbond it back in. Already been mentioned about the awkward size of the drip rail, and the original seam welding is a bitch.