Crashed car, abandonded

Page 2 / 2
magicmat, Dec 21, 9:00am
I think this is the best solution. After all anyone who had the means to deal with a wrecked car would do so pretty promptly and not return to remove plates etc. So its unlikely that the (former) 'owner' of the car is going to want to claim the wreck and the fees attached to it. I would think OP would be doing the local council a favour.

studio1, Dec 21, 11:49am
I got a car this way some years ago. It was abandoned at a park. No plates on it so I grabbed the engine number and phoned the police. They ran it through their system and said it wasn't reported as stolen - therefore had no interest in it at all. Next I rang the council. They said they'd send someone out in the next few days to put a sticker on it, then the owner or other interested party had either 7 or 28 days (can't remember exactly now) to remove it or they would come back and take it away.
I said to the guy on the phone "so how can I get it!" and he said "Well, I didn't say this, but if the car disappears before we can get out there to put the sticker on it, there's not much we can do".
With that, we towed it home.
Did the same thing with a car that was abandoned on the Southern Motorway. Ended up being a paddock-racer.

ginga4lyfe, Dec 21, 11:54am
I had a friend whos father used to work on the rail lines and he would have to go and clean up up and down the line, and back then people used to dump cars/utes/you name it on the side of the rail ways, so he would call a towy and have it towed to his place on the companys money, and they permitted it as it cost more to tow it to a scrappy and they didnt care what happened to it. once he even got an old house bus. and it even ran! ( broken diff apparently though )