Re-attaching rear view mirror onto windscreen

rovercitroen, Dec 21, 3:17am
Has anyone else had the fun of trying to successfully reglue the rear view mirror support onto the inside of the screen! My mirror fell off the other day, no doubt because of parking in the sun and getting hot.
I have just glued it back on using two-part Araldite that is clear and good for up to 80 degC. It cures in 16 hours so it remains to be seen if it is a success or not.

rovercitroen, Dec 21, 3:30am
Thanks for that. I was in Supercheap this morning and they had nothing specific for the mirror so I got the Araldite.

cuda.340, Dec 21, 3:33am
i glued the metal anchor for the mirror on a Buick last year with a hot glue gun. i saw the car a couple of weeks ago & it still hanging in there.

saxman99, Dec 21, 3:48am
+1 for that stuff, it's excellent.You MUST follow the instructions EXACTLY though.

ginga4lyfe, Dec 21, 1:22pm
Oh a word of advice if it doesnt work. DONT USE SUPER GLUE , apparently it will crack your wind screen in seconds

intrade, Dec 21, 4:48pm
forget araldite you need a special glue or a adhesive patch as the screen gets hot and cold from the sun and expands and contracts and would just pop the araldite off as soon as the sun is out not to mention it has to be uv resistant also.

rovercitroen, Dec 22, 9:27pm
Well, that didn't last long! The mount became unstuck from the screen when I, unsuccessfully, tried to reattach the mirror. I think I'll take it to a windscreen place. They probably do them all the time.

r15, Dec 22, 9:55pm
go to smith and smith or similar, they will probably do it for free, or charge you less than repco will for the glue

elect70, Dec 23, 1:23am
^^^yep SS have done 2 free for me

mgmad, Dec 23, 4:40am
I've used the loctite stuff and it works well, 3M also do a double sided foam adhesive pad, good for about 1.5 kg or so, which is easier to use and has lasted for a good 7-8 years thus far